Talk

Advanced search

Deutsche/German DVDs/TV

(13 Posts)
K75 Mon 13-Jul-09 13:52:11

Hi

My DD1 is now 2.5 and learning German from her father and our Nanny. She is doing really well but I think I have monopolised her evening tv slots with the likes of Peppa!
It is really clear just how much vocabulary she is picking up from the tv and would like her to do the same with her German.

Can folk recommend DVDs for this group or slightly older I can order from Amazon.de and/or tv I can record (am planning to get a satellite installed for German tv.

We have been given a few but I have to say the amount of spoken language is a bit limited.

Many thanks

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Mon 13-Jul-09 14:01:54

I do not know the names of any German shows off the top of my head but when my charges are not getting enough German I change the language from English to German on their DVD's. Can you do this with Peppa?

noramum Mon 13-Jul-09 16:22:49

There is a German version of Shawn the Sheep but this may confuse her if she knows the English one. Also Dora the explora and Peppa exist as well.

for more original German The Biene Maja (adventures of a little bee) or Benjamin Bluemchen (an Elephant) may be an idea. There is also Der Rabe Socke (stories with a raven).

When you get TV look that the KIKA-channel is included, that's the German version of Ceebeebies.

LIZS Mon 13-Jul-09 16:32:55

Der Regenbodenfisch, Franklin, Sesamstrasse Kika info with some familiar characters !

K75 Mon 13-Jul-09 19:10:28

Thanks all. Really helpful. I think a big order to amazon.de is coming tonight!

MIFLAW Wed 15-Jul-09 14:52:39

Tried Barbapapa? Available in most languages and surprisingly intelligent. Or is that too young?

MmeLindt Wed 22-Jul-09 15:49:31

We have noticed that when we buy DVDs in Germany that they always have the English language as an option so rarely buy films in UK now.

I have Benjamin Blümchen and Lauras Stern if you would like me to send you them, my DCs don't watch them anymore.

WidowWadman Fri 24-Jul-09 15:56:35

My favourites when I was a child were the Augsburger Puppenkiste shows, especially "Das Urmel aus dem Eis" and I already bought the box set so my daughter can watch it when she's a bit older.

Another great one is "Das Letzte Einhorn" (which will no doubt also have English Audio), beautiful fantasy film (cartoon) with great soundtrack.

MIFLAW Fri 24-Jul-09 16:15:59

Does Sesamplatz still exist?

MmeLindt Fri 24-Jul-09 16:23:02

Sesamstrasse, yes it still exists.

Thought of another one today, Lars der kleine Eisbär. And Briefe von Felix (about a bunny that gets lost then sends letters home to his owner.

noramum Mon 27-Jul-09 16:43:28

WidowWadman: how could I forget Augsburger Puppenkiste. I love Lukas der Lokomotivfuehrer but I think the story is a little bit too much for a 2.5 year old.

Otherwise: Grisu der Drache (dragon) who wants to be a fireman.

K75 Sat 01-Aug-09 12:36:40

Thanks all; very helpful. I ordered a small pile from amazon.de!

spica Wed 12-Aug-09 11:56:51

Have son at same age and same problem. We have loads of DVD's (some Augsburger Puppenkiste, Urmel & Jim Knopf, though they are from a no-name company). Books, CD's - what about meeting & sharing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now