Talk

Advanced search

Any German speakers whose kids are doing GCSE German?

(10 Posts)
kidsRTW Sun 14-Jun-09 21:32:56

Hi, I am sure I am not alone in this trying to get my bilingual kids through their GCSEs early-ish. In my case the school doesn't offer it so we are doing it at home. If there is anyone around in a similar position who might want to link up or share experiences that would be great.

annasmami Sun 14-Jun-09 21:52:27

I know that the German Saturday Schools offer a GCSE German class (it's the most advanced level they offer), but I'm not sure whether they offer the exam there or whether pupils then take the exam at their (or another?) school.

Am very interested myself, so will be watching this thread with interest smile.

kidsRTW Mon 15-Jun-09 21:01:36

Good idea - just looked them up, they are very much into German culture etc... hmmmmm, let's see...
Still, there doesn't quite seem to be anything in my area so I have put in a query. Have you got any experience with them?

annasmami Tue 16-Jun-09 11:26:22

kidsRTW, our children go to the German Saturday School in Richmond. They have been going since they were 3 (they're now 5 and 7) and seem to be enjoying speaking and learning German from someone else than me smile.

I think there are 5-6 different German Saturday Schools throughout the UK - whereabouts are you?

Not sure about the details of the GCSE classes there, but I do know that a few older children have just done their German GCSE a year or so earlier (than they would have at school, I guess). Not sure where they've done the exam though, but I can find out.

kidsRTW Fri 19-Jun-09 18:44:47

there isn't anything near me (Worcs), I think, I have emailed them through the webiste and no reply. bit frustrating as I guess I will again be stuck home educating which I can do but is yet another thing on top of work etc and then it's always me who's even more of the baddie which is why we didn't continue wiht HE in the 1st place....

annasmami Sat 20-Jun-09 15:42:00

Does your DC's school not offer German? Are there any other local schools that do offer German GCSE?

kidsRTW Sun 21-Jun-09 22:14:51

no, they don't - and there are not a lot of centres around that take private candidates.It really is a buerocratic effort which is also a bit of an organisational issue for me from a childcare/ work / transport point of view. Probably feeling a bit worn out and sorry for myself today but it also needs to be managable.

annasmami Mon 22-Jun-09 09:54:19

Have you had a look at the Goethe Institut website, maybe they have more information about German taught in UK schools:

http://www.goethe.de/ins/gb/lp/enindex.htm

kidsRTW Mon 22-Jun-09 14:00:25

Great idea, hadn't thought of that, do you have any experience with it or know anyone who has used it?

annasmami Tue 23-Jun-09 11:45:25

No, I haven't got much experience with the Goethe Institut, other than going to it's annual German children's theatre performance (in London).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now