Talk

Advanced search

Arabic speakers - just watched a wonderful children's DVD

(8 Posts)
Racingsnake Tue 05-May-09 22:06:23

I have just watched a wonderful DVD by Michel Ocelot called Azur et Asnar. It was in French and Arabic - I think - and the Arabic was not translated as you could follow the story without it. I only speak a few words, such as shokran and na'am (and I can't spell them!), but it sounded authentic. You can also get it in English and Arabic. It is beautifully drawn, funny, exiting ... much better than Disney and you can rent it from LoveFilm.

alibubbles Wed 06-May-09 09:24:23

How lovely, I just looked it up on Amazon and it will be wonderful for my minded children to watch in the holidays if raining! Thank you for the recommendation.

Racingsnake Wed 06-May-09 22:04:54

Hope you like it as much as I did.

Donk Wed 06-May-09 22:06:18

Thankyou RS - sounds wonderful! I will look for it.

<<Waves at Racingsnake>>
(by the way I ahve always wondered what species of racing snake you were?)

teafortwo Wed 06-May-09 23:58:36

That is really interesting RS - due to us having several Arabic/French bilingual friends dd is picking up on a few Arabic words and phrases. I think it is really lovely... and we are trying to think of ways to encourage her further - I will get Azur et Asnar from the library if it is available this week!

Thanks.

Racingsnake Mon 11-May-09 10:17:35

How lucky she is, Tea! It might be good - there are some repeated phrases, especially when the little princess is getting told off.

Shitemum Sun 31-May-09 20:09:01

We have Azur y Azmar, and the Kiriku ones by the same team (in French originally but ours are dubbed into Spanish).

They are beautifully made and I was surprised to hear my 5.8 yo daughter singing the lullaby that the nursemaid sings to the babies in Arabic the other day. Her pronunciation sounded really good! We live in the south of Spain where there is a big muslim community but we don't hear that much Arabic on a day to day basis.
It reminded me of just how much children can soak up liguistically and otherwise...

saramoon Fri 03-Jul-09 17:50:19

Will be looking out for this for my dds who are 3 and 4. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now