Advanced search

Where can my brother go to improve his reading and writing - in english

(8 Posts)
cheerfulness Tue 28-Oct-08 20:35:39

He is 21, has dyslexia and I have discovered is not very good at either reading or writing English - English being his only language. All of the courses I have found are for foreign students - surely this is not where I should recommend that he goes.

pickupthismess Tue 28-Oct-08 20:41:26

He needs to call his local college. They will definitely run Adult Literacy courses - they are obliged to. They will also offer support with dyslexia.

If he finds that daunting have a look at learndirect - the govt's online courses
see here


cheerfulness Tue 28-Oct-08 20:56:41

Thank you, I will certainly have a look. It is very difficult for him and he doesn't want any of his friends knowing that he is 'going back to school'.

pickupthismess Tue 28-Oct-08 21:22:32

Well they are all very discreet. With learndirect it's obviously totally private but the classes may be more supportive and hving supported some you'd be amazed the mix of people you get there.

No reason for anyone to find out. He could be doing any evening class.

Yurtgirl Tue 28-Oct-08 21:25:58

Here in wales we have the Basic Skills Agency, which run lots of locally based fabulous courses to improve literacy and numeracy - Im not sure if that covers England too though

I will have a look for you

Yurtgirl Tue 28-Oct-08 21:28:57

Try googling niace and basic skills agency - as well as learn direct

From what I can see BSA is just wales now, the England part of the website seems to have been archived - They sell some fantastic wallet sized cards with useful spellings etc on them. The courses are good too

pickupthismess Tue 28-Oct-08 21:31:02

BSA and learndirect are really one and the same. The govt is always switching names around. BSA often used to run college courses but now seem to be inhouse.

LIZS Tue 28-Oct-08 21:34:10

also look under "Skills for Life" in your area. There may be small groups and workshops starting throughout the year, taking place at venues in the locality(such as community centres and libraries) as well as at FE colleges. You are assessed and taught according to individual ability. If he wanted to do a more formal course or qualification while ensuring he gets additional help with literacy, the local college should have a Supported Learning programme.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: