Talk

Advanced search

help to prompt those precious first words?

(4 Posts)
babydriver Fri 25-Feb-05 13:13:53

I'm looking for some reassurance about my son - just beginning to get a bit worried that he hasn't really started talking yet. I'm not expecting conversation, but mummy, daddy and cat would be good!! Advice/tips gratefully received.

He'll be 16mo next week and is a delightful child (except when teething!). He's clearly decided to walk before talking and is good on his feet. But I do wonder whether we should have a few words coming through. The rational part of me says that there's nothing to worry about - he makes lots of different sounds, is lively and engaged, understands verbal instructions (following them is of course an entirely different matter!!).

I really don't want to be pushy, so wonder if I've actually been a bit too laid back. I'm sure that by 2 he'll be off (and I'll wish he hadn't started to speak!!) - but has anyone got any tips to help encourage those first words? We talk and read lots, and try to have new experiences regularly. Also tried signing since 8mo, to no visible effect!

Gwenick Fri 25-Feb-05 13:15:04

Nothing really you can do - if he's understand you that's a very good sign - my DS1 didn't really talk until he was 2yrs old - and by 2yrs 1 month was stringing sentences together!

Lucycat Fri 25-Feb-05 13:19:03

It sounds as though you are doing everyhing right! If he understands instructions then it really won't be that long before he's issuing some of his own! I found with my 2 that between 18 and 20 months was when they really started to 'talk'. We started with the sound 'p' for please, before we would give them anything. DD2 is 21 months and can now say loads - too much in fact! You're also right that they do concentrate on one thing at a time and if he's a good walker then that's what will have been taking up his efforts and thoughts! Let us know when he does say his first word and get one of those little tape recorders handy!

babydriver Wed 02-Mar-05 17:52:35

Thanks Lucycat and Gwenick for your reassurance. I like the tip about 'p' for please so I'll try introducing that. I guess it's just a waiting game now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now