Talk

Advanced search

What's a good CD or something to brush up my uber-basic German FAST?

(11 Posts)
franch Tue 02-Sep-08 09:00:11

Haven't done German since 'O' level, can't seem to remember a thing although I'm sure some will come back - what's the fastest way to remind myself it? I have to work with some Germans in about a week's time and need to at least have a few phrases, and a reminder of the language generally. No time available to do this really, so a CD or something would be ideal. What's good?

Portofino Tue 02-Sep-08 09:04:30

I have some of the Michel Thomas CDs for French and Italian and think he is brilliant. He gradually builds up sentences and teaches the words in an easy to remember way. Me and DH used to listen to Italian for a week or 2 in the car before holidays and were always surprised how much we'd mastered.

franch Tue 02-Sep-08 09:10:53

Thanks portofino, was looking at that one - looks good. Do i get the foundation or the language builder?

Portofino Tue 02-Sep-08 09:23:16

I would have thought if you have a basic knowledge the language builder will give you a quick reminder rather than starting from scratch(and it's cheaper?)

franch Tue 02-Sep-08 09:28:04

thanks porto

cupsoftea Tue 02-Sep-08 13:49:42

Could you watch some german tv? to get a feel for talking speed & phrases in general (depends on the programme though!!)

franch Tue 02-Sep-08 17:13:42

Good idea cups, don't think I can get any tho, only got freeview. Maybe online?

SubRosa Tue 02-Sep-08 17:44:31

Listen to the radio, it really does help. I tend to listen to Bayern 3:

www.br-online.de/bayern3/

Click on the right-hand side, where it says 'Live hören' and it should start up

franch Tue 02-Sep-08 17:46:37

brilliant - thanks subrosa

SubRosa Tue 02-Sep-08 18:44:05

Bitte sehr!

cupsoftea Tue 02-Sep-08 20:00:16

on-line or get your fav dvds with german lang & subtitle - good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now