Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

German school in Richmond

(4 Posts)
noramum Fri 29-Aug-08 15:00:25

Hello,

I am wondering if anybody here has experiences with the German School in Richmond.

Hubby and I are both Germans. Our daughter is 13 months and we live currently in Bromley (SE London/Kent Border). We want to move in 2-3 years time as the schools in our catchment area aren't the best ones.

The German School is one option but as it is only half day we are wondering what to do as we are both working full time in Central London.

So what do you do with the kids before and after school when you are not staying at home? Childminder? After school club? Is the school offering any options?

Is the Kindergarten also only 1/2 day? When does primary school starts, as in Germany with 6-7 or with 4-5 like the English schools?

Any answers are very welcome.

Noramum

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 19:29:18

Keine Ahnung...aber kennt Du die "Deutsche in London" website? Koennte mir vorstellen das Leute dort die Schule kennen, etc...!

annasmami Sat 30-Aug-08 14:12:10

We had considered the German School for our children, but the main reason we decided against it was that there is a lot of fluctuation of the students i.e. lots of families are only there for a few years and then go back to Germany. We also wanted our children to feel 'at home' here in England while we are here and have 'local' friends.

We do send them to the German Saturday School though smile.

In terms of being able to work full/part time I think you will find that the German School times will be very much like those in Germany. English school on the other hand finish around 3-4pm with after school clubs or homework clubs often on offer.

noramum Tue 02-Sep-08 21:32:36

Hi Annasmami,

you are right, I didn't think about the fluctuation.

Well, hubby is talking again about moving towards Kent/Surrey, a bit too far for the German School.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now