Talk

Advanced search

Anyone is the french part of Switzerland?

(7 Posts)
minniemow Tue 15-Jul-08 13:38:38

Hi everyone. I was wondering if there are other mums in the french part of Switzerland as my husband is working there at the moment and we will probably join him next September. I have two children and would like to know more about the area from a mother's point of view.

LIZS Tue 15-Jul-08 16:36:28

try here. I'm sure there is a specific Geneva based site too.

renens Sun 14-Sep-08 17:13:33

Hello,

I used to live there. Came back to the UK 3 years ago. I lived in Lausanne and Geneva and husband is from Valais. I might be able to answer your questions.

tostaky Fri 19-Sep-08 20:23:35

Hi Renens, We are planning to move to Geneva/lausanne area in a year time or so.
What would you say is the best place to live and bring up two children (not too expensive but with good quality of life)

KeelhaulCalifrau Fri 19-Sep-08 20:28:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spamm Fri 19-Sep-08 21:25:31

I can also help - lived just north of Morges for many years and have lots of family still there.

Where is your Dh working?
I assume you are thinking of renting at this point in time?
What age are the DCs and are you thinking of putting them in local school or international school?

We moved to Switzerland when I was 10 years old, my brother was 8 and my sister was 3. We loved growing up there and had great childhoods, but it can be quite difficult for women at times. I am sure it is moving on all the time, but when I go back to visit, I am often amazed at how little has changed.

renens Sat 20-Sep-08 21:24:11

Well kind of depends where your husband's job is. You don't really commute in Switzerland. 20mins is considered a long journey. Geneva is much more expensive than Lausanne and when I was there there was a severe housing shortage making it difficult to find an apartment. Though the expat community is much stronger in Geneva than Lausanne. Personally wouldn't recommend living in anything other than a major town as you could be really isolated, especially if you don't speak French. The Swiss aren't the most open and welcoming people.

As for quality of life, it is way above anything here, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, if you don't speak French it'd be best to get started now, as you will be making countless trips to the local government offices to get things stamped and signed. Much easier if you have a grasp of the language, they'll be far more helpful.

Don't know much about the school system as came back to the UK before having our children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now