Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

French activities for 3 yr old

(15 Posts)
bellababe Wed 26-Jan-05 13:39:17

Can anyone suggest ANYthing I can do to go about finding something for my ds (2.9) to do to give him exposure to French. We live near Glasgow but the only thing I can lay my hands on at the moment is the Alliance Francaise and their playgroup on a Saturday morning but I want something midweek.
I have done various e-searches but can't find a number for Club Francais or anything of any use at all.
He is a very bright and very active child. I have already done some French with him and he remembers everything and has the most beautiful accent. When he hears someone speaking French he runs up to them and says "Bonjour!".
Would appreciate any suggestions!

Marina Wed 26-Jan-05 13:45:31

Start your own La jolie Ronde franchise perhaps Bella?

bellababe Wed 26-Jan-05 13:48:10

Hmm, funny you should say that. I've been in touch with me and they kindly never got back to me.

Hausfrau Wed 26-Jan-05 13:53:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marina Wed 26-Jan-05 14:34:33

Well that's pretty poor Bella, I agree.
Is anywhere in Glasgow twinned with a French city?
I never got going on anything midweek with ds and dd as I went back to work outside the home both times, but am hoping to get them both penfriends in due course, either through a schoolteacher pal in Normandy or via our borough's twinning with a Paris suburb.
And it won't be all that long before your ds will be up to enjoying Tintin and Asterix first in English then raiding your originals...ours at five is starting to be fascinated by this.
I also wondered if there might be worthwhile contacts for you at Glasgow's French Department?

bellababe Wed 26-Jan-05 14:39:04

that's a good idea - thanks

Tiggus Wed 26-Jan-05 15:01:37

If you go on to FNAC.com you can order French CD's with words in booklets, little Tintin books with different subjects using Tintin cartoons to illustrate words, eg "Les ACtions" "Le Transport".

If you speak French, start your own singing group using the CD (I do this on a Saturday morning as am bilingual and all my friends want to teach their little ones French ...).

BTW Glasgow is twinned with Grenoble ... and I am the product of a student exchange Glasgow Uni circa 1964 ... (DOB 1970)!

Marina Wed 26-Jan-05 15:14:17

Grenoble, now that sounds good. Unlike the charmless Antony where I spent some still enjoyable exchange visits as a teenager...
Thanks for the Fnac tip Tiggus, ds is working his way through our "Captain Haddock A-Z of Insults" and it is taxing our French pretty seriously...

Tiggus Wed 26-Jan-05 16:29:00

Ah, they always love the "rude" words !!

bellababe Wed 26-Jan-05 16:51:26

I really want to try and do something out of the home - even if I have to go with him.

fanta Thu 03-Mar-05 17:06:10

My son - half French too - loves watching DVDs featuring French nursery rhymes. We dance and sing together and he loves it! You can find some good bargains for such dvds on amazon.fr or even ebay.fr

betamum Fri 04-Mar-05 13:09:36

has anyone heard of the BBC Language Programme for children - aka MUZZY, in French, Spanish etc. i was sent a brochure awhile ago and have been umm-ing and arr-ing. dd, 3, does a little bit of french at nursery and I wondered if it might be a good investment.

treacletart Fri 04-Mar-05 13:22:18

Check out this website - Poisson Rouge It's fab! It was put together by an Anglo French couple who incedentally also made the Boohbah's website. Its just right for 3 year olds and although it's mostly language free, has two seperate A-Z sections, one in French one in English, with lots of simple little games. He'll love it.

smellymelly Fri 04-Mar-05 13:26:30

Betamum - I've heard of the Muzzy coures, but like you I was also wondering how good they are as they cost well over £100. Also wasn't sure how far advanced they go. My ds is only 5, but we are thinking of moving to France within a year, and would like to help him as much as possible beforehand.

So I will watch this thread like a hawk...

smellymelly Fri 04-Mar-05 13:27:06

make that 'Muzzy courses'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now