Talk

Advanced search

My DS can't pronounce the letter "c" at 2.5y!

(16 Posts)
finleysmum Sat 15-Jan-05 00:46:43

My DS is 2 and 5 months but still can't use the letter "c".He speaks fine other than this~will he grow out of it?.e.g He "arn't do it" and he loves "ars"brum brum!.

JanH Sat 15-Jan-05 01:14:19

DD1 used to say "t" for "k" until she was about 4. So cake and Kate and take all came out "tate". I think not saying "k" at all is similar developmentally. He will say "k" eventually!

kinderbob Sat 15-Jan-05 07:18:24

finleysmum, you have to take your son shopping so he can go in a "oobicle" (cubicle) It's just the cutest. Sadly my son now says his c's.

Blossomhill Sat 15-Jan-05 08:26:52

Very normal. I wouldn't worry at all.

alux Sat 15-Jan-05 20:50:23

it all has to do with the development of tongue muscles. It will come with time.

lowcalCOD Sat 15-Jan-05 20:50:38

I know what to do!

lowcalCOD Sat 15-Jan-05 20:51:25

you make them put a finger pressing down ont heir tongue
(come on all do it!)
and say "c" or " g"
this cured ds2 inmmmediately

Amanda3266 Sat 15-Jan-05 20:53:24

Hi finlaysmum,

Don't worry, this is just immaturity and will come with time. My DS is 2 and 1 month and scarcely says anything intelligable. Certainly not the number of words all the books say he should have. He is red hot at animal noises though. .

lowcalCOD Sat 15-Jan-05 20:54:05

but it really works!

Lonelymum Sat 15-Jan-05 20:57:51

Can only echo JanH here. My dd couldn't say c or g until quite recently (she is now 4.10) Otherwise, her language is fine and she spoke reasonably early etc. I am not sure when she turned the corner. Although I was worried about her like you are about your ds, I still didn't notice when she started saying c and g, just suddenly realised she was.

koo Sat 15-Jan-05 22:28:32

My ds got a referal for an initial appt with a speech therapist as he couldn't say his 'c' sound either.

The ST (in the nicest possible way) laughed at my concerns and promptly showed my son a picture and asked him what it was.......'tea-cup' was his answer.

I hadn't realised that he could say the sound, just not at the start of the word for some reason. He was fine with no extra help at all.

finleysmum Mon 17-Jan-05 12:07:07

Thankyou so much everyone!.I have been really worried by this.My friends DS who is 4 days older than mine can say anything and i thought my DS had a problem.I must admit i do find his little quirks cute though!.Yesterday we had "nakes" in the garden (harmless worms!).He has been quite behind my other 2 on the speach front so hopefully everything will just come with time!.xx

chocfreeclary Mon 17-Jan-05 12:13:01

finleysmum my ds1 can't do c or g either (he is having SALT). He is 5.5, I wouldn't worry about a 2yo at all, as others say.
Coddy's thing with the tongue is good, it does work, but not on my ds alas who just seems unable to deal with the sound (sigh)...
we'll get there I guess but black is still "bwa" and truck is still "fru"
sorry to hijack yr thread with my moan finleysmum!

JanH Mon 17-Jan-05 12:20:05

finleysmum, "nakes" is better than my DD1, who used to say "hakes"!

You're right, it will come, don't worry about the other little boy's speech being better. DD1 is grown-up now and can speak correctly.

Pagan Mon 17-Jan-05 12:27:45

My nephew was the same. He eventually went to one elocution lesson where where the lady showed him a cake which he obviously pronounced take and a bunch of keys which were pronounces teys. He wanted the cake but only got it when he was able to pronounce it properly. This he did anfter 5 minutes and never needed to go back. Your DS will be fine

throckenholt Mon 17-Jan-05 12:29:18

my nephew is now 6 - speaks fine - at 2 he always said tat instead of cat etc.

my ds1 is 3.5 - he says nakes rather than snakes. His cutest is massey furgenus (when explaining tractors to his 2 year old brother) instead of massey fergusson. Also putenin instead of computer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now