Advanced search

Any Japanese Speakers about?

(11 Posts)
Califrau Fri 14-Mar-08 23:11:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califanjo Sat 15-Mar-08 15:33:27

hahasan Tue 18-Mar-08 17:16:46

I don't think it's Japanese - Japanese doesn't have the letter 'l'.

WowOoo Tue 18-Mar-08 17:21:39

No, def not japanese. Ai, Aya, Aiko, Akiko etc would be Japanese but as Haha says, they don't have an L. Guess, they may have mixed the characters Ai and maybe Ra. I'm a bit rusty! But, I knew an Aira - pronounced I- ra.

hanaflower Tue 18-Mar-08 17:23:25

DeeRiguer Tue 18-Mar-08 17:26:00

used to speak a little conversationally not formally learned, and agree there is no 'l' they tend to say 'r' instead
there is one in my name i found it quite cute..

loved my friends name saiko (pron. psycho)!

and usually ko at end for girls i think / chan for every child..

girlfrommars Tue 18-Mar-08 17:28:39

The sites I've looked at say it is American/Scandanavian/Unknown and means light bearer/bright light. Though another one said it was Scottish and means 'from the stong place???

sakurarose39 Wed 19-Mar-08 04:33:30

Thing is, it would be written phonetically in Japanese as 'Aira' but they can have it written on official passport etc. as Aila. Not exactly traditional (true that girl's names often end in 'ko') but nowadays, people choose all sorts of combinations...names like Leila, Aili, Kelly(Reira, Airi, Keri), and for boys, Luke and Kyle (Ruuku, Kairu) BUT when Japanese people pronounce them, the L sound is somewhere between an L and an R. So Aila would def. work in Japanese and in English. Easy to pronounce for grannies and grandpas on both sides of the world! grin

sakurarose39 Wed 19-Mar-08 04:35:41

BTW, Ai means 'love' - not sure about Ra on its own...would have to see the Chinese character that they have used (if they have used characters for the name - they could have just used the phonetic symbols, which have no particular meaning)

miz1 Sat 07-Jun-08 07:39:27

Hi, I am British-born Japanese and have two sons aged 3 and a half and 20 months. I have gone to a local Japanese group that meets, but very occasionally. I went to Japanese School in London on saturdays from the age of 7 - 16 years old and really didn't enjoy it at the time, but I am bi-lingual now and really am grateful that when I go to Japan I can communicate with all my family over there! I have been having a bit of a dilemma over when and how to start introducing my kids to Japanese, I do sometimes play them Japanese kids songs and they watch Japanese kid's videos at my mum's but that is not very often and I don't want to force them into it. My husband is English so we all speak English in the house and I don't really know that more than about three Japanese mums where I live and don't meet up with them as I have an established group of mums, friends that I see. what I worry about is that my boys may not want to learn the language if I leave it too late. I can't seem to find many Japanese/English kids books with pictures etc. Any thoughts/ideas of how/when/to start introducing my kids to Japanese. Some of the Japanese mums I speak to are so surprised that I haven't been pushing Japanese more with my kids, so I feel guilty about not speaking to them more in Japanese..but I work part-time and my 3 year old talks so much and so well in English that maybe I've missed the boat! Many thanks!

chikuchiku Wed 09-Jul-08 22:49:39

It sounds like you know it would be a good idea, you are just hoping it will be really easy - and it isn't if you don't speak Japanese at home and it requires sacrifices. But it is so worth it! I took my little one to a Japanese playgroup every week (one in Ealing) - and it was an hour and a half round trip - just for 2 hours there! I spoke Japanese to him at home (I'm English but my husband is Japanese, BTW) coz I felt he just wouldn't get the exposure otherwise. All his early videos/DVDs were Japanese (he didn't know you could select English on the language menu). I know what it is like on your precious days off from work - you want to just meet up with your own friends but if you want to do this for your children, they need as much Japanese as you can give them. Probably the other Japanese mums you've met are having just as many problems talking Japanese to their kids - most of the ones I know talk English at home coz their husbands don't talk Japanese, and then end up talking to their kids in English (especially when their English wasn't that good). Couldn't you suggest a really proactive get together once a week where you all make an effort to play Japanese games and get the children talking?
There are Japanese toddler groups in Ealing /Acton which you can just drop in, and a pre-school which isn't too expensive. The Finchley kumon class has a Japanese course and they do some aural work. Then there are the yochien - but you probably know about them.
And you could just start speaking to them in Japanese. It doesn't matter if they reply in English - I used to just repeat what they had said in Japanese and carry on.
My oldest has just started Hoshuko in Finchley. We do have to work at it, and he has to do homework, and his vocab is so limited compared to his English vocab, so he really needs to practice - being bilingual isn't just something they can pick up if they don't get enough exposure. But it is a great thing. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now