Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

"C'est baba car"

(7 Posts)
CoteDAzur Fri 21-Sep-07 15:08:41

DD (24 months) said a 3-word sentence for the first time yesterday. Pointing at DH's car, she says "C'est baba car". (C'est: 'this is' in French, baba: 'father' in Turkish)

Not sure at this point if we are doing her a favor by exposing her to three languages at the same time!

moondog Sat 22-Sep-07 18:37:32

That's great! grin

Are you a Brit married to a Turk living in France?
(I'm a salt who also speaks French and have been living in Turkey for three years.)
Cok guzel!

moondog Sat 22-Sep-07 18:39:01

(Ah,seen your other thread. Excellent. Have read a lot professionally on how Turkish speaking children are generally leaps and bounds ahead when acquiring other languages as complex Turkish grammar gives them such a fantastic start.)

CoteDAzur Tue 25-Sep-07 11:50:03

I would love to see some of that material that shows benefits of learning Turkish - DH is not entirely happy that I talk to DD in Turkish. It did give him the incentive to learn a couple of words in Turkish, though. He says things like, "Nerede anne?". Until DD started understanding Turkish, his enthusiasm in the subject was woefully lacking grin

You are living in Van, right? I've never been east of Ankara. I'm the proverbial Western city Turk, I'm afraid. How is it working out for you?

moondog Tue 25-Sep-07 20:36:49

Not in Van anymore.
There is stacks of stuff on how Turkish kids are so advanced because of complex grammatical structure of the language.Please keep speaking it-one of the best most positive things you can do for you child in so many ways.

CoteDAzur Wed 26-Sep-07 09:02:19

Just read through "Turkish language" in Wikipedia and realized that I would HATE to learn it as a foreign language! Reading your previous post, I was thinking to myself "What 'complex structure'? It is all so simple."

Googling has so far just pointed at Turkish (immigrant) children having a hard time integrating in their host countries. Any chance you could remember the name of a book on advantages of learning Turkish early? I would really appreciate it.

moondog Wed 26-Sep-07 19:09:40

I'll have a look in my journals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now