Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Learning English audio CDs for a Slovakian lady?

(9 Posts)
yorkshirepudding Tue 11-Sep-07 14:05:27

Message withdrawn

yorkshirepudding Tue 11-Sep-07 14:31:47

Message withdrawn

yorkshirepudding Tue 11-Sep-07 15:27:32

Message withdrawn

violeta Tue 11-Sep-07 16:38:12

Most coursebooks have audio CDs with them - that could be a possibility? I'm not convinced that it's possible to learn entirely from a CD - I think you need reading, speaking and grammar practice too. English File is a good course, for example.

Are you doing classes? Maybe ask your teacher which book would be best? Are you here in the UK or in Slovakia?

yorkshirepudding Tue 11-Sep-07 17:31:36

Message withdrawn

yorkshirepudding Tue 11-Sep-07 21:07:59

Message withdrawn

violeta Wed 12-Sep-07 15:16:22

Hi yorkshirepudding: I don't think your neighbour will find anything specific for Slovak learners, but most coursebooks will give her a good introduction to the basics. A class would be the best thing though, seeing that she's here in the UK. Check ESOL classes offered by local colleges; they tend to be free or at least heavily subsidised particularly at the lower levels.

English File is a good course - it seems to be one of the best. But, of course it's designed to be used in a classroo situation with lots of speaking practice. A class would be a good way forward, I would say.

Good luck to your neighbour!

SSSandy2 Wed 12-Sep-07 19:48:00

I'd suspect you would need to check a bookstore in her home country to get course books with CDs especially geared towards Slovak speakers.

How good is her English? Assimil are nice for everyday language but you would be lost without a good grammatically structured course to go with it. They're good for idiomatic speech.

https://www.eurobooks.co.uk/languagebooks/series/ENG/m1/c3/6/ASSE

English without toil - cumbersome translation of the French original. They have a bit of humour in them. She might enjoy them

yorkshirepudding Thu 13-Sep-07 14:01:48

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now