Talk

Advanced search

I want to learn Spanish. Whats the most convienient way to do it?

(18 Posts)
Nbg Tue 21-Aug-07 19:57:59

We have finally managed to book a holiday abroad for early next summer to Majorca and I would love to be able to speak a bit of Spanish while we are there.

So how do I go about it.
I cant do classes and things due to baby 3 coming just before xmas and after that I will not have the time.
Do I buy a book and cd or could I do it online?

Muchos Gracias

choosyfloosy Tue 21-Aug-07 20:01:09

one negative - I wouldn't recommend Michael Thomas tapes/cds - and one positive - maybe find some spanish websites and radio stations, once you have learned a bit of Spanish [[http://www.liv.ac.uk/soclas/ug/resources/spanish/media.htm e.g. this list of radio stations

but not much help with the actual learning

choosyfloosy Tue 21-Aug-07 20:01:35

sorry, i'm unused to the new method of links try again

Nbg Tue 21-Aug-07 20:07:11

Thanks choosy

MrsSpoon Tue 21-Aug-07 20:09:09

Hola! We've got a CD/book called something like 15 min Spanish, it's quite good but I haven't got much beyond ordering a meal/drinks, asking someone's name, telling them my name etc. I bought a DVD from the ELC for the DSs and at first glance it looks quite good for the basics and the lady in the ELC said that her husband uses it. Adios!

MrsSpoon Tue 21-Aug-07 20:11:25

This is the one we have but it has a CD with it too. Also have a small Spanish/English English/Spanish dictionary that we carry whilst in Spain just in case.

Nbg Tue 21-Aug-07 20:13:42

Buenos noches/evening MrsSpoon lol

Thats the kind of thing I'm after learning. I dont expect to be completly fluent. Just to be able to order a meal or some drinks, maybe ask directions, that kind of thing.

MrsSpoon Tue 21-Aug-07 20:20:09

Buenos noches, Nbg, 15 Min Spanish might do the trick then, the CD version is useful as it helps with pronunciation.

Nbg Tue 21-Aug-07 20:22:31

I think I might get that then. £4 isnt out of the way.

Cant wait to be able to go to a restaurant and order tapas in spanish

MrsSpoon Tue 21-Aug-07 20:34:31

Just don't do what I did and make a complete plonker of yourself ordering for everyone at the table is your best Spanish to a very dishy waiter (who you are presuming by his dark looks is has to be Spanish) and then he answers you in English with a strong Essex accent.

MrsSpoon Tue 21-Aug-07 20:35:00

in your best Spanish

SofiaAmes Tue 21-Aug-07 20:42:50

I was told that itunes has millions of free spanish (and other language) lessons that you can download and then listen on your computer or ipod if you have one.

Nbg Tue 21-Aug-07 20:45:06

Lol MrsS

Never thought of doing that SA. Good idea.
Will get dh on to it right away!

Will still get the book as I would like something to have infront of me IYSWIM.

itwasntme Tue 21-Aug-07 20:48:03

The BBC books and CDs are good. I liked Suenos, as it accustomises you to Spanish from all over the world, not just Spanish from Spain

The BBC website is a good took too: www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/

Buenas noches!

dressedupnowheretogo Tue 21-Aug-07 22:36:02

ooh ponce alert all tapas is titles in spanish anyway you fool lol

buenos nochas amigo su jayne

just watch dora the explora like i do i know the words for big grande! little picante! red rojo! blue azure!

just watch nick jr and pay attention rather then mumsnetting like i know you do

adios mama nbg

YumzieMumzieLaura Sun 30-Dec-07 12:29:28

Hola! Ive been doing spanish at evening classes since August and love it..take it evenings are out of the question too? Try BBC Active Spanish - theres a book which comes with 2 cds.. its really good and the cds are good for helping with pronounciation.. bueno suerte!

MeMySonAndI Sun 30-Dec-07 12:35:43

Learn Mallorquin instead, that's the main language of the Island (wink)

Where are you staying Nbg? depending on where you are staying you may be better off learning German... I spent a good time there (DexH is Mallorcan) and there were places were you could not even ask for a beer in Spanish without a waitress wondering what on Earth you were talking about! shock

perrita Tue 24-Nov-15 23:36:57

I'd really recommend using duo lingo, it's an app you can download. I've been learning Spanish for the past year or so and went from nothing to actually understanding a fair bit and I credit duo lingo app for most of that. I also downloaded a couple of other free Spanish learning apps, one was really good for learning numbers but I don't have the name of it to hand. Also another recommendation is italki.com you can sign up and pay one off for 30 min/1 hour lessons via Skype with a native speaker. I've only had a couple as not got much spare income and they were excellent. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now