Talk

Advanced search

stammering

(9 Posts)
Poo2 Tue 10-Jul-07 11:52:45

Just wondering if any of you have children with a stammer? My ds, just 3 yrs, has devloped one in the last month. Doesn't do it at nursery, but really quite bad at home. I have recently (8 weeks ago) had my third baby and the health visitor thinks it might be that. She suggested making sure I give him my full attention as often as poss (ha - with 3 kids...), and if it doesn;t clear up to see a speech therapist. Any comments or suggestions?

HuwEdwards Tue 10-Jul-07 11:53:55

My DD1 went through a phase of this - oddly enough, it only lasted a couple of months. Cleared of its own accord - hope it does with your DS

SoupDragon Tue 10-Jul-07 11:54:08

Both DSs picked up a stammer at around that age and it vanished after, er, a year maybe?. I think it's a fairly common age to get one.

Poo2 Tue 10-Jul-07 11:57:28

Did either of you do anything in particular when they had it? I haven't commented on it to him at all, and I just wait for him to get the words out. Very frustrating.

NeverTickleASleepingSoupDragon Tue 10-Jul-07 12:00:25

We just ignored it.

MrsMills Tue 10-Jul-07 12:11:11

Strangely timed question. DS2, aged 3 and a half, has just started to see a speech therapist as he has problems, but has now developed a stammer of gargantuan proportians.
I have heard him stuck on the same letter for close to 15 seconds which is a very long time. His speech therapist says not to worry just yet as it can be quite common at his age. Iäm not sure what she could do to stop it anyway.

mansfield Thu 26-Jul-07 16:46:08

Hello, just read this thread as my 3.9 yr old dd has developed a really bag stammer in the last week. I have also contacted HV who said wait for 2 wks as often this can go as quickly as it comes and if no improvement she will refer for speech therapy. I have looked up lots of internet research about stuttering and stammering and nearly all says early intervention is better than waiting as results are much better when treated early. It is very distressing though as its so painful to watch. About 5% of three to five yr olds stutter but most can be treated or managed well. Does anybody else have any advice? thanks

tessiken Thu 26-Jul-07 22:18:50

Don´t focus on his stammering, do your best to ignore it. don´t ask him to repeat a phrase or a word when he stutters. I am a L-P student and a mom, so this advice is gold. concentrate on the content of his language and not the form of presentation. It will pass, and it is perfectly normal... don´t worry!

random Thu 26-Jul-07 22:32:32

My grandson 4 has stammered on and off for the last year seems to last a couple of months and then clear it self ..we just ignored it hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now