Talk

Advanced search

Mandarin Speaking Mothers

(13 Posts)
babyandme Wed 04-Jul-07 11:24:28

I would like to meet any mandarin speaking mothers around Benckenham. I have two years old boy and a six months old baby.I would like my boys to expose to the language.

tigerli Sun 08-Jul-07 21:21:16

Hi, where are you exactly? Do you speak mandarin?

babyandme Tue 10-Jul-07 09:56:43

Hi tigerli, Im at Beckenham Clockhouse Road. I speak abit of mandarin. Im Indonesian Chinese. I must admit my mandarin is a bit rusty now.
How about yourself?

Lolaido Fri 13-Jul-07 14:50:03

Hi babyandme and tigerli,

I'm from South Korea, so I don't speak Mandarin. But my hubby speaks Mandarin. I would like my boy - 6 months - to be exposed to Mandarin as well. I also live in Beckenham near Clockhouse station. By the way, I hardly see any oriental people around here, Where have you guys been?!!

babyandme Mon 16-Jul-07 09:12:01

Hi Lolaido,
Thanks for your post.
We just moved to UK,Im still very new here. I have 6 months old bb too. My email white_venom@hotmail.com
Hopefully we can meet up for coffee someday!

slng Fri 17-Aug-07 10:34:32

Malaysian Chinese, speak/read/write Mandarin, 2 boys (3.5 and 1.5 yrs old), living in Ealing.
VERY keen that kids should speak and read and enjoy Mandarin! Anyone nearby to meet up? Email siawlynn@jon.demon.co.uk

JoannaArcher1 Tue 21-Aug-07 11:13:25

Hello, chaps - my son is starting Mandarin classes in September. He already speaks French as there is a bilingual nursery near us. See if there is a Supplementary school in your area teaching Mandarin - they will certainly know of other families near you. Their details should be on the local council website.

Do any of you have young relatives who would like to spend a year in the UK? I'm looking for a sort of Au pair although she will only need to drive between Bath and Bristol one day a week and supervise my son after school and in the holidays - no cooking and cleaning. In exchange she will have free accommodation and plenty of time to go to language classes at the local college during the day. If you email me then I can send you the advert I had translated into Mandarin! Thanks, Jo
venture@capital-info.fsnet.co.uk

slng Tue 04-Sep-07 15:12:14

Hi Jo, has your son started Mandarin class yet? How is it? Do you speak Mandarin at home? I know there are chinese classes near us. Will see if DS fits in a class next year. But it's the everyday (or most days) environment that I would like to "engineer"!

Will ask cousins about spending year in UK as au pair.

JoannaArcher1 Tue 04-Sep-07 17:23:44

No - I can't speak a word! But we've found a great CD-ROM from China Sprout called WaWaYaYa which is helping him to become familiar with some simple characters.

We are very lucky, there's a Saturday club in Bath, a Sunday Mandarin school in Bristol and an after school club, too! All starting soon.

We've just got satellite installed and I've been hunting around the free channels to see if I can find any children's TV (Hotbird or Astra 1) - no luck, yet. Managed to find some IPTV but couldn't navigate around the menus to find the schedule for kids programmes! Could you help??

See [http://broadband-television.com/tv] or [http://www.livetvcenter.com] or [http://beelinetv.com].

I had a young woman apply to join us but I didn't realise the disparity between the cost of living in China compared to here and I think I will have to provide meals as well as free accommodation, particularly as she wouldn't be able to work.

Jo

Weekend Sun 09-Sep-07 16:26:39

I am so proud of you, babyandme....heehee.. you know what I mean and who I am... I hope you can find more friends in this new place. You are really lovely and sweet and I will treasure our friendship forever. May be, may be I will consider to move to UK too... haha..

babyandme Thu 18-Oct-07 22:26:43

Hi Weekend
Nice to see you here...(surprised!)
hope you can move to uk soon. I have such a good memory with our Mandarin speaking mother group. Thank you for all your efforts.

Nice to know you and I will treasure our friendship too!

You take good care! Come and visit soon

SarahC99 Sat 13-Mar-10 01:18:40

Hi Joanna

This is an old thread so not sure if you will receive this but I am moving to Bristol April 5th after living in Beijng for 4 years with my 4 year old daughter Elsa.

I am really keen to keep her Mandarin alive. I have found the Avon Chinese School which is a great start but am also
looking for after school clubs in Mandarin/child minding groups (she may not
start school till Sept)/babysitters in Bristol (we will be living in
Clifton).

I saw you mentioned an after school club but wasn't sure if that was in
Bristol or Bath.

Can you help at all? I would love to have a chat about the above and any
other means you have found to educate your son in Chinese. I am in Beijing
for the next few weeks so would be happy to bring over some books/DVDs as
well.

best wishes

Sarah

endeavouress Wed 05-Jan-11 21:12:47

Hi, are there any native Mandarin-speaking mothers with young toddlers (around 1 yr old) who would like to meet up?

I have a 16 months old boy and we live near Ealing Broadway. I speak Mandarin exclusively to him (my husband speaks English to him) but would just like him to have more exposure to the Mandarin language.

If interested pls let me know. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now