Talk

Advanced search

anyone know how easy it is to learn a language and work abroad (spain)?

(6 Posts)
mosschops30 Thu 21-Jun-07 13:57:58

Ok the most I can manage at the moment is 'hola' but having a few thoughts about working abroad particularly spain (as i cant persuade dh to move to Oz).

So i am thinking would probably take me about 5 years to be proficient enough to work (nursing), is this realistic.

I have enrolled on a council run course, which is run in stages 1-5 so obviously i will start at the bottom.

Does anyone know what nursing is like in spain, is it easy to get into, plenty of jobs etc?

Any advice would be fab

SSSandy2 Thu 21-Jun-07 14:04:02

Depends how good an ear you have, whether you have much time for it. I think a bit every day is the way to go and I find you pick up a language a lot faster when you're in a country where it is spoken. If you're keen and work hard at it, it shouldn't take ALL that long. You get out what you put in. Some people learn languages fast because they really plug away at it (my bestfriend is like that). Spanish is comparatively easy to learn. I think you should go for it. What does dh think of the idea?

mosschops30 Thu 21-Jun-07 14:06:24

thanks sssandy. I am going to apply myself to it because its something i would really like to do and would enable me to get out of this country and work abroad.
dh is suprisingly ok about it, I mentioned it to him last night and he said 'go for it' so i think i will.

SSSandy2 Thu 21-Jun-07 14:14:42

I don't know about the conditions for nurses working in Spain. Don't expect the local hospitals to pay well but there may be good private options to look at.

What is the problem with apostrophes, do you know? Mine are printing out strangely

You could post this under "living overseas" too for more info on jobs/conditions.

mosschops30 Thu 21-Jun-07 16:33:24

great idea will do thanks

CoteDAzur Fri 22-Jun-07 12:05:51

Try to stay in Spanish circles when you move to Spain & resist the urge to seek out English mums or other expat groups. Surrounding yourself with Spanish people is the best way to start learning Spanish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now