Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2 year 3 month old won’t join words together

(3 Posts)
manny707 Thu 26-Oct-17 19:13:38

My daughter is 2 years and 3 months. I can’t count the amount of words she says but she won’t join them together to make sentences, it’s all individual words. She can say the odd thing like bye mummy or hello daddy but gets through life quite effectively with one word at a time. We do all the usual things like ask her open questions and repeat what she’s saying to us in a sentence but she’s still happy as she is when all her peers are talking full on conversations.
Anyone had this problem?

lovely36 Tue 31-Oct-17 08:55:35

Hello I studied child dev in uni and actually learned about this. What my professor said is that every child learns and dev at their own pace. She said some kids may start saying words and sentences at 1 while others may start a little later And that's ok. She said she had child who didn't speak a word at all and one day out the blue began speaking sentences. she explainers that just because they child does not say sentences or may speak does not mean they don't know how to instead the child will begin when she is ready. There are many factors that go into language and how fast a child begins to talk. For example how long she crawled, crawling strengthens the back muscles and all the tiny muscles a child will need when they begin to speak. Her small muscles might not be strong enough yet for her mouth to form sentences. Also make sure she does not have tounge tie. That is when the child's tounge is too attached to the bottom of her mouth which causes difficulty in speech. If your child does not have that then my professor suggested to continue to speak to her in proper sentences very clearly and avoid baby talk. One day your little one might just surprise you and begin to chat away when her body is ready to do so smile remember sometimes the body might not be ready but in her mind she might already be saying full sentences! Hope this helped

GottadoitGottadoit Tue 07-Nov-17 12:02:38

Un

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now