loader

Talk

Advanced search

individual provision plan - shd i accept

(8 Posts)
anximum Tue 03-Oct-17 22:07:35

hi
my son just turned 4
he is a well behaved good boy but do not talk much with outsiders and as we are trilingual he does not talk the much vocabulary as other kids of his age but he is v smart kid for his age
he can read level 8 books knows much of the spellings, knows all the numbers, does puzzles, tells stories, remembers everything ....to name a few
he goes to 3 hr nursery and they gave me individual provision plan just because he dont talk too much but .i saw him asking his teacher for water
so what do u rhink
shd i sign it or shd i say he dont need one
thanks xx

Toutedesuite Sun 08-Oct-17 07:30:11

I'd sign it and accept all the help you can get. Lots of my friends were told by their nursery that their child had some kind of delay/communication/coordination issue etc. All my friends were hurt and upset about the comments and didn't accept the help. All were first children and with your first child you are often really sensitive about their progress etc. Now, 5 years later, it turns out every single child DID have an issue and the parents are shocked and upset and dealing with it now - years after it was first mentioned, when it's very entrenched and they feel terrible about not acting on the advice they were given at nursery. Apparently, it's much better to get in early, as problems are easier to mitigate. Also, small children who are very quick learners academically but less good linguistically and socially often stay like that, without extra input. Their social skills don't catch up with their intellectual abilities because their brains just aren't wired up in that way. A really clever child is a joy in lots of ways but it's their social skills which will make them happiest. You really can improve their social skills (if you understand that's what you need to be doing) by starting young - encouraging lots of imaginary play/role play/model-making/drawing etc and taking them to groups/play dates/messy play/parks etc. Lots of exposure to other kids in fun settings. Equally, if your son is just shy and struggling with trilingualism some extra help/a specific plan from nursery won't hurt him at all. In fact, it will bring on his social skills quicker and he'll be ahead of the game. I don't think you can lose... But do look up 'very clever small children' and see if you can get more information about the positives and the negatives of being that way... Bon courage!

anximum Sun 08-Oct-17 07:52:42

thank you so much for your reponse
he is quite good at roleplay
going out
mingling with other kids - infact he will be the first one to start conversation with other kids at malls/ shops not just kids he also speaks to elders at bustops
im scared to sign it because i was told if it goes on for an year he will be sent to special school which is absurd
im just concerned because he is very active socially and play with other kids even if he sees them for the first time
its just that my first lang isnt english and i was told jot to speak in my mother tongue with him so i did very little bit conversations with him until he was 3
then i got the point that i need to speak to him and started doing that and instantly he picked ip the language but obviously he is behind the other kids and since i can speak only to some extend of english ( obviously not as good as my mother tongue) he is getting very little to learn from me

SandBlue Sun 08-Oct-17 08:13:21

Who told you not to speak in your first language? My understanding is you should speak in your first language. If that's not the language of the country, dont worry, the kids will pick it up. The most important thing is to speak in a language you can be confident and grammatically correct in. (My degree qualified husband only picked up English from the TV before he went to school).

Are you in the uk? Where has the special school route come from? That doesn't sound typical for an English school.

anximum Sun 08-Oct-17 11:04:13

The person who told me abt this works in the childrens council and has seen the case with one kid who was sent to spl school

Mustbeinsane1984 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:52:34

Don't worry about it, sign the paper and see it as a little extra help. Speak with your child in your mother tongue if you prefer. Your child will eventually pick up more of the other language. English? We speak English at home and are in a non english speaking country. My son is almost 5 and is finally getting better. He is very bright but also a little shy using his other languages. Give it time and accept any help you can. Eventually he/she will catch up.

BackforGood Wed 15-Nov-17 00:09:57

He won't be sent to special school.
It seems you were given poor advice in the first place. It is fantastic for small children to speak two - or in your case three languages - a real skill to have as they grow older.
What it will often mean is that their vocabulary can be behind that of their peers at Nursery age, in English, (although in reality, it is often 'in total' much higher as the y have vocabulary for 2 or 3 languages), so Nursery are quite right to give a little extra support in that area. It does not mean he has an SEN (Special Educational Need) but means that the Nursery are quite rightly looking at all children individually and asking how they can help that individual progress.

PotteringAlong Wed 15-Nov-17 00:12:14

There are not enough places at special schools for all the children who need to attend, they're not sending someone who doesn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now