Talk

Advanced search

18 month old not talking

(9 Posts)
NoJaDi14 Thu 13-Apr-17 14:04:13

Hi. Not too sure if I'm posting in the right area. My youngest is 18 months old and he's not talking at all. I speak to him all the time and he doesn't even say mum or dad. He's active, loves a cuddle, laughs, cries and shows his excitement but he just doesn't speak. My eldest spoke at 8 months and definately had words at 18 months but my youngest doesn't at all. Just wondering if anyone else have had this? I saw my GP this morning and he's referring me to a pediatrician but in the mean time any tips on how to get him to speak?!

Havingahorridtime Thu 13-Apr-17 14:11:02

Does he make any noises at all?
My 18 month old isn't speaking much - the odd 'yes' and 'no' and 'daddy' but not much else but he does make nonsense noises.
My older son didn't talk until he was about 18 months and then he was talking in sentences very quickly.

LionSock Thu 13-Apr-17 14:16:22

My DD could say loads at 18 months. My Ds said his first word at about 17/18 months. I really wouldn't worry. I know it's easier said than done because I was worried at the time too. DS is now 3 and I can't shut him up! grin I bet he will start to say lots of words in the next few months.

NoJaDi14 Thu 13-Apr-17 14:39:32

Ah thank you! Will try not too worry too much! I bet one day he'll start talking and won't shut up! 😂😂😂

NoJaDi14 Thu 13-Apr-17 14:42:20

Sorry havingahorridtime - he's not saying anything. Not even 'no' or 'yes'. I think I've actually heard him once say 'mum' when he was hysterical but that's it
Doesn't even say 'dada'! I'm hoping it'll come soon... he has been hideously ill since the beginning of the year too and his ears are always waxy - using olive oil drops - so I'm wondering if he's having hearing issues.

Havingahorridtime Thu 13-Apr-17 15:11:27

Defo get his hearing checked. I have another teenager who spoke a few words at 12 months and made lots of sounds but then regressed and was diagnosed with autism and has zero language now (but still makes sounds). Based on my experience of having one who didn't speak until 18 months and is now typical and very chatty and having one who spoke at 12 months and is now non verbal I am waiting a while longer until I get worried about my now 18 month old who isn't interested in talking yet.

marabounuts Fri 21-Apr-17 16:36:41

hearing test just to rule out hearing issues such as glue ear?

Does he understand simple instructions? communicate otherwise (pointing? bringing you stuff to show you?).

at least the GP put a referral in place... hope you get some answers soon!

Nottalotta Fri 21-Apr-17 16:43:34

My almost 21 month old say mumma and that's all. He makes lots of noises though, chats, babbles and understands instructions etc (such as put your shoes on) He knows what I'm saying to him. I spoke to the HV yeswand she said not to worry and expect words in the next 2-3 months. Several his,age ar toddler group are similar.

steppemum Fri 21-Apr-17 16:48:24

a few things - look up the stages of speach, they are something like: crying, noises, then repeated sounds (dadadada), then babbling (sounds like phrases and sentences but is random sounds), then echoing sounds shapes, then individual words, starting with one syllables. (you need to look this up, as I don't have it right)

it would help you to know if he is on this pattern at all, ie, is he babbling, or is he still at the crying stage.

Also hearing, waxy ears will put him back for a few weeks months. If he has been ill, then that can cause their developement to be paused while they fight the illness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now