Talk

Advanced search

Spanish surname advice

(11 Posts)
mwnci1 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:00:05

I am Spanish and my husband is British. We live in the UK and have no plans to ever go back to Spain. We are expecting our first child in the summer and I am wondering if there are any spanish mums/british dads out there that could share their experience naming their babies?
I don't (and can't) take my husband's surname and I have heard that border officials are a bit funny about mums not having their kids' names when travelling, so should I give them (one of my) surname(s) as a middle name? or two surnames (and hope only the short and sweet paternal surname sticks!)? or a cumbersome double-barrelled name?
I am so confused, please help! confused

Sadik Fri 17-Feb-17 23:06:35

Not quite the same, but I didn't take my (now ex) H's name when we married.

DD was born in Spain, and for simplicity's sake was registered there with H's surname followed by my surname as per normal as we expected to stay there. So she is named (not real names) Maria Jones Smith with no hyphen.

We then ended up moving back to the UK for family reasons. Having two surnames hasn't caused any problems at all. She has her full name in her passport so no issue with travelling with either of us, but in everyday life often just uses the one.

Sadik Fri 17-Feb-17 23:08:25

Sorry, that was a bit long winded. The short answer is that I'd go by the Spanish system, it is a very good solution to the common British problem of mum & dad having different surnames!

Sadik Fri 17-Feb-17 23:09:58

Come to that, are you in Wales? (Wondering because of your username) if so two surnames seems actually pretty common here anyway.

EightiethElement Fri 17-Feb-17 23:14:24

my children has a different sur name to me and not once in over a decade have i ever had any body question it. have flown to Denmark, Spain, Ireland. No problems anywhere.

mwnci1 Sat 18-Feb-17 10:32:09

Yeah I'm in Wales but unless you're in a very Welsh area, it is not that common. Out of curiosity, which surname does your daughter use? First or second one? I use only my first (dad's) name but at GP/bank they always call me Miss Mum's name, so annoying!

EightiethElement Sat 18-Feb-17 11:10:47

Yes in english speaking culture the legal sur name is understood to be the last!
Unless the sur names are spanish then i assume that.

Sadik Sat 18-Feb-17 14:17:35

It is pretty Welsh here! Yes, as you guessed dd tends to use the second surname if just one, so not the 'right' one. On forms she gives both though.

LickingTheButterKnife Sun 02-Apr-17 09:36:12

Hi OP, I'm exactly as you. DD was born last year.

In terms of travelling, I always carry a copy of her birth certificate as, like you, I don't have my husband's surname. Last time I flew back from visiting family in Spain they requested it at the UK border.

HeadDreamer Sun 02-Apr-17 09:45:24

Chinese don't take their husbands surnames either. I have not had problems with my children not sharing my name. Though I have only taken DC1 to Spain myself. All the other trips are with DH. The trip was 4 years ago.

HeadDreamer Sun 02-Apr-17 09:46:45

I think the Spanish surname way would be perfect tbh. It do away with any surname question and I think everyone knows Spanish uses both parents surnames?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now