Talk

Advanced search

Dutch or Flemish children in UK

(6 Posts)
Rustler74 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:38:17

I'm 5.5 months pregnant, ideal time to start blabbing to bump in my language, Flemish, although I must admit it is declining.
I am hoping that my partner will keep supporting me as much as he is into bringing up our child bilingually. And I'd like to be consequent, but sadly I realised only after my visit to the Belgian embassy that I'd not spoken Flemish when picking up my passport and when enquiringly after Belgian (dual) nationality for my baby.

I know of some success stories as well as families where the Dutch was eventually abandoned due to a variety of reasons. If only there were a group nearby such as my DSIL has for her Japanese. I'm in Hertfordshire
Is anyone else planning to speak Flemish or Dutch to their child? Or doing so already?

Rustler74 Sun 26-Feb-17 21:05:10

Bumping as no reply

Member652554 Thu 13-Apr-17 20:13:05

I plan on teaching my DD as much Dutch as I can but unfortunately I am starting to forget most of it myself as I don't speak it daily.

Rustler74 Sun 16-Apr-17 18:44:00

Which area are you, @Member652554 ?

Member652554 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:37:31

Midlands smile

Rustler74 Sun 16-Apr-17 20:36:40

I'm in herts and also not speaking it daily but I know I won't forgive myself if I don't talk my mother tongue wth my baby x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now