Talk

Advanced search

What Nationality will my baby be?

(5 Posts)
user1470994990 Thu 19-Jan-17 21:56:29

Hello,

My baby is due in a few weeks time and I'm starting to worry a bit about baby's nationality. My husband and I are EU, Dutch and Irish and have been living and working in the UK for several years. Of course, none of us can be sure of what the next few years hold for us with Brexit. Will we have the same rights? Will we need to pay for visas? Will I have the right to NHS care, child benefit etc?

Right now, my main question is where will my baby be 'from'. Will she be entitled to UK citizenship? Can she have dual citizenship, either Dutch/UK or Irish /UK ? How do I go about sorting out the paperwork required to arrange these things.

I have tried googling this of course but not found any clear cut answers.

Please help! Any advice would really help.

Thanks

JessieDeFrog

VinoEsmeralda Thu 19-Jan-17 22:00:05

There is a lot of information on the Dutch embassy website. My kids hold dual nationality (british/Dutch) and so will I hopefully in a few weeks. ds was born when law decided to follow maternal line, regardless birth was in UK and when dd was born two years later it was, luckily, country of birth.

Gefeliciteerd btw

SvartePetter Thu 19-Jan-17 22:02:32

My kids have dual Dutch (OH) and my nationality passports. They are entitled to British passports as they are born here with parents who has permanent right to stay at the time of their birth. This will apply for your child too.

Google third culture nationality for the mental co concept of nationality!

tribpot Thu 19-Jan-17 22:07:07

From gov.uk it looks as if your baby won't automatically be a British citizen because neither of you are British.

Assuming your DH was born in Ireland, your baby is entitled to Irish citizenship and through you Dutch citizenship. I think dual nationality might be problematic (I'm assuming this the reason my dad doesn't have dual nationality, despite having lived in NL for 40 years).

So you may have to choose which country to claim citizenship. If you intend to stay in the UK, I would pick Ireland. But as to what the future holds, nobody knows. Overseas visitors can already pay a health surcharge to use the NHS so I would expect the worst case scenario is that you will be able to access it in return for a reasonably small payment.

Vietnammark Fri 20-Jan-17 04:07:32

If you want to know about having the nationality of a particular country then you will have to ask the official authority of that country.

If you want to know about whether they will have British nationality then you need to go to the website supplied by Tribpot. Reading this site it does appear that they would not automatically receive British nationality.

To know about the NHS, I believe this is the best link:

www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/uk-visitors/moving-to-england/Pages/moving-to-england-from-the-eea.aspx

It appears that you and your children are entitled to receive free NHS care.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: