Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When to start and how?

(6 Posts)
BayaGoji Tue 13-Dec-16 14:39:02

We have a newborn, and among all the excitement, I'm also super looking forward to raising him as bilingual (I'm English, living abroad and married to a native of my new country). So English will be our DS's second language.

Am I being overeager by thinking about how to stimulate his English learning already? When is a good time to start (obviously I already speak to him in English, but should I be putting on English language television and stuff like that?)

Any tips? I've read loads about how to raise kids who are learning to speak two languages together, but can't find much about how to get a head start before your child is actually speaking.

BaronessBomburst Tue 13-Dec-16 14:47:01

DH and I are both native English speakers living abroad. DS was born here.
We speak English at home; TV, radio channels and books are generally in English.
DS learnt Dutch at nursery, and at school. He is 6. English is his first language but he sometimes talks to himself and plays on his own in Dutch too. He reads and writes both languages as I taught him at home.
I think if you stick to English and always use English with him it will just happen.

BaronessBomburst Tue 13-Dec-16 14:52:28

Are you his primary carer? DS was with me all the time as I was a SAHM so his early exposure was only to English. I think that was the 'headstart' so to speak.

noramum Wed 14-Dec-16 09:34:16

You start on day one by speaking to him all the time in English. You can sing to him, tell him nursery rhymes and read to him. We are Germans and it is easy to read baby books to a newborn, it's not that you want a comprehension exam afterwards.

I would avoid TV though, a newborn can't see it anyway. When he is older it is great for introducing your own culture as well, DD knows lots of old children TV due to us buying DVDs with things DH and I grew up with.

Does your DH speaks English? If so, make English the family language and your DH speaks the native language (plus any extended family as well). This will increase the exposure of English as a second language while the native language is absorb through interaction with family and outside world.

What are your plans for the future? If you are a SAHM for more than maternity leave then go out and get the native language via playgroups and baby classes. If you return to work then don't worry, just keep up with English at home.

Purplebluebird Wed 14-Dec-16 10:00:27

There is a very good FB group if you are on there. It's called Raising bilingual/multilingual children. I've found lots of good advice there, and also agree with the comments above.

Mamabear12 Fri 16-Dec-16 07:25:42

You are in a great position if you and your partner speak English. Just read, talk and sing to baby in English. Always talk when doing things with baby. If you plan on living there a long time your child will pick up the majority language at school and from environment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now