Talk

Advanced search

Norwegian children in London

(11 Posts)
movingbackinthesummer Mon 12-Sep-16 10:38:50

Hi there.
We've just moved back to London from Norway (we're English) and I'm wondering if there are any other Norwegian-speaking families around with smallish kids, who'd like to have the occasional play date. My daughters are nearly six and three, and fluent after three years in barnehagen, and I'm hoping to find them some friends to speak Norwegian with!
Any other tips on keeping up a language much appreciated - I realise there probably isn't much I can do as they're so young, but I feel it's worth a try!

QuintessentialShadow Mon 12-Sep-16 10:42:57

Den Norske Sjømannskirka i London - I think they have a childrens group, and families meet after sunday service.
Lots of Norwegians live in Wimbledon, as it is close to the Norwegian School.

In all our years in London (my children are now 14 and 11) we did not really come across other Norwegians. (We used to live in Putney)

I think the Norwegian Embassy may have some information about events, the Norwegian Club, and happenings on 17th May.

Purplebluebird Mon 12-Sep-16 10:52:50

Hello! I'm Norwegian and live on the Surrey/Hampshire border (1 hour from Waterloo by train), and have a 2,5 year old boy who is bilingual, my partner is English.

I think talking Norwegian, watching Norwegian films and reading Norwegian books would be ways to keep the language. That's what we do anyway, though my son has speech delay, and the words he does have are a mixture of both languages!

I'm not often in London, but if you're ever out this way, let me know and maybe we could meet up smile Do you speak Norwegian too? I don't know any other Norwegians at all in England, but think London is the place to be for that.

movingbackinthesummer Mon 12-Sep-16 11:10:05

Many thanks to you both! I'll check out the lordagsskolen at the church, that looks interesting.

Mamabear12 Sun 25-Sep-16 20:26:54

Have them watch Norwegian cartoons only. Can get on youtube for free and also buy dvds. I would recommend Norwegian baby sitter. I could give you contacts to two if you message me. Your kids will lose the language fast if it is not kept up with15-20 hours a week. You could do this with Cartoons in norwegian, playing songs every day in norwegian, reading norwegian books to them every night and perhaps getting a nanny part time to speak norwegian. And of course if they meet norwegian speaking kids. All the people I know that have kids even with one parent norwegian, they struggle to keep the language up.

Josiesmum0 Sat 19-Nov-16 00:08:51

Heya
I'm norwegian and moving to London in January with my english husband and 22 month old daughter.
Hoping to find a small norwegian network for the odd norwegian playdate smile

movingbackinthesummer Sat 19-Nov-16 08:38:02

Hi Josiesmum! Great. We'd love to have some Norwegian play dates, do send me a message and we can organise once you're back.

Norwegianinlondon Wed 25-Jan-17 19:07:08

Hi guys! do any of you happen to live near(ish) to Chiswick, or in any part of West London? We are looking for some Norwegian playdate-mates for our 3 year old somewhat Norwegian speaking daughter as well! thanks, Henrik (yea, not sure if a guy should be here but i found your great thread via googling..smile)

Mamabear12 Thu 26-Jan-17 11:54:41

There are a lot of norwegians in wimbledon and they have a Facebook group. You should try asking there. I am sure you would be able to arrange play dates that way.

movingbackinthesummer Thu 26-Jan-17 12:05:18

We do! Send me a direct message and we can arrange something!

NewinSW19 Wed 12-Apr-17 21:40:45

Hi,

I am a bit late to the thread - I live in Wimbledon, am Norwegian and have a 2 year old daughter. I would love to have some Norwegian playdates to help with her language. Let me know if you are meeting up!

Maria

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now