Talk

Advanced search

Greek bilingualism

(30 Posts)
Greekmum Sat 03-Feb-07 01:49:35

I am very keen to raise my children fluent in Greek and I am looking for other like-minded Greek mums living in London (especially the Surbiton/Kingston/Twickenham area). I host a baby & toddler group at my home in Surbiton KT5 to sing and read stories in Greek and have fun! I also have a website - please visit: http://www.greekmums.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk I'd be delighted to hear from you!

serenity Sat 03-Feb-07 02:07:45

I understand there's a small (but thriving) Greek Community School in Kingston, so there must be a few families round your way. I'm a bit further east unfortunately or I'd be interested in your group for a while (DD starts nursery in september!) Depending how keen (and willing to travel you are) you might be interested in the school my DCs go to - it's the one and only state Greek Orthodox primary in the UK, but it's in Thornton Heath. One of the aims of the school is to teach Greek with the ideal that a child is bilingual by the time they leave. It has a real community spirit.

Welcome, and I'll make sure to check your website out

bapti Wed 28-Feb-07 14:10:39

any thoughts on how to prepare dd (now 4) for new life in Cyprus? am in SE23 and need to learn language basics

JoannaArcher1 Tue 04-Sep-07 23:07:48

There's a Greek music shop in Harringay which sells a selection of children's DVDs etc..

Trehantiri,
365-367 Green Lanes,
London. N4 1DY
Tel; 020 880 265 30
email; sales@trehantiri.com
Web; www.trehantiri.com

Jo

Maria2007 Sun 30-Mar-08 14:29:13

Hello,

I live very far from Kingston but I thought I'd say hello. My name is Maria, I'm greek, living in London for years now, and I'm 6 months pregnant with our first baby... my partner is also greek & we're keen for our baby boy to be bilingual from the start, so we're planning to speak to him in Greek at home. I am a bit concerned about the question of how early we should introduce English- or is it that babies pick English up just by going to day care or through hearing others speak? It's important for us that he knows english from the start, too, and that he doesn't end up going to school & having language problems.

Anyway, sorry for waffling! Just wanted to say hello really I'll check your website...

Maria

serenity Sun 30-Mar-08 15:28:50

DH was born over here, but only spoke Greek at home until he started Primary School and then refused to speak anything but English! Sadly my MIL let him get away with it and consequently his Greek is now pretty appalling (he's too embarrassed by it to speak it at home, so the DCs have learnt all their Greek at school - I'm English btw)

I wouldn't worry about only speaking Greek to your DC tbh, plenty of families I know only really speak Greek at home. DC will hear English from the TV and radio, from your interactions with other people, when you talk to friends or when you're out and about. Congratulations on the baby btw smile

shabster Sun 30-Mar-08 15:45:34

WOW - I wish I lived nearer to you ladies - am in deepest darkest Bolton, Lancashire. We have been visiting Rhodes for the past six years - just on holiday to begin with but we have made some wonderful friends out there who we keep in touch with weekly. We have been trying to learn Greek for a long time. When we are there we dont do too badly but when we are back in England it is very hard!

The Greek music shop sounds wonderful! I need to learn the way a child does grin

I have never met people quite like Greek people. They are so hospitable and very curious and friendly. Cant wait for June now when we go 'home.'

alexpolismum Tue 01-Apr-08 16:32:30

shabster - You might want to have a look at the books 'Arxizo ta ellinika A' and 'Perissotera ellinika B'. I found them very helpful when I was learning Greek. They're done by the University of Thessaloniki language dept

Maria2007 Thu 03-Apr-08 09:05:40

I was wondering if there are any Greek speaking mothers in central london?

Vasso Thu 17-Apr-08 14:06:09

Hi all

I am a Greek mum to be in a couple of weeks hopefully and I live in Mill Hill North London. I would also like to come in touch with other Greek mums

Maria2007 Sat 06-Dec-08 11:44:58

Hi... just bumping this thread up, wondering if there are other greek mums around in london, & whether you'd like to get together? or just keep this thread going?

serenity Sat 06-Dec-08 11:57:56

Ooooooh hello again Maria - you were due about June weren't you? Boy or girl? <<is nosey>>

Unfortunately I don't really qualify as a greek mum as I'm only on here by marriage grin (semiCypriot maybe, lol) There are loads in London though, it just seems none are on MN!

Maria2007 Sat 06-Dec-08 13:03:34

Hi serenity! Yes, close enough, I was due in august, and had my baby (a baby boy) august 3 smile He's now an energetic 4 month old, not sleeping very well at all, but that's life with a baby for you!

How are you?

Elina04 Sat 13-Dec-08 15:37:53

Hello,
my name is Lena and I am living in North London, Crouch End. I would like to be in touch with other Greek-Cypriots Or Spanish mums. I have a 7weeks old boy.

pacitaInApearTree Mon 15-Dec-08 22:05:49

Hi Lena,

I am a Spanish mum living in Harringay, and funnily enough my partner is greek. Are you in a similar situation, and is that why you are enquiring about Greek or Spanish mums?

Elina04 Tue 16-Dec-08 20:59:09

Hi Pacita,
I am Greek but I speak spanish too. Hablas Griego?? Vives muchos años aquí?

pacitaInApearTree Wed 17-Dec-08 16:14:47

Amazing! I'm learning Greek and have been livinng in London for 13 years. Do you fancy some baby talk and language exchange over coffee in Crouch End?

SmilePlease Wed 17-Dec-08 21:01:07

I am Greek-Cypriot grin but no kiddies and living in North London.

Bit of a pointless message just wanted to say hello and i'm probably related to you is some shape or form hmm.

Heehee, have a good Christmas!

Elina04 Wed 17-Dec-08 22:21:47

Hi Pacita,
It would be nice to meet for a cofee in Crouch End. Let me know when you had in mind and how we should contact each other.

pacitaInApearTree Wed 17-Dec-08 22:45:48

Lena, email me at elena[at]elena[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk.

Speak soon!

pacitaInApearTree Thu 18-Dec-08 22:35:10

or you an also try elenacaton at gmail dot com

Stella35 Sat 10-Jan-09 22:09:20

Maria2007,

I am Greek, leave in south London have a 21 month old daughter and I am very keen to meet other Greek mums and babies. Is your son sleeping better now?

Serenity,

I live in croydon and i am thinking about sending DD to the school at Thornton Heath. DH is british, so DD gets both languages at home, but mainly english. Do kids have to have a good level of greek to go the Thorton Heath School? Do you live near Croydon?

MariaBamBam Mon 09-Feb-09 11:30:08

Hiya!!

My name is Maria.Me and my husband are both Greek and we live in South London,we have a 21 month old son and we would love to meet other greek families in the area (or not)smile. I can't believe I have missed this thread all this time I am reading mumsnethmm

Maria

Maria2007 Tue 10-Feb-09 21:53:21

Hi Stella & Maria, nice to hear from you both! Sorry I didn't respond earlier... Just found this message now, thought this thread had died out.

(note 1: Stella, son is sleeping slightly better, thanks! He's now 6 months old, so hopefully things will soon improve a bit more!)

(note 2: Can I ask- what is the thornton heath school? Is it a greek speaking school?)

Anyway. Lets chat again soon girls! Nice to find other greek mums here...

MariaBamBam Tue 10-Feb-09 22:03:41

Hey Maria,

Sleeping will get better as he gets older. Regardless of age I think a routine always helps the little ones to settle better.

Where is Thornton heath school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now