Advanced search

What paperwork do I need to do once my baby is born? I am Spanish lived less than 5 years in the UK

(3 Posts)
janah Sun 15-May-16 10:31:37


I am pregnant!

And I have a tone of questions.

I am Spanish living in the UK (less than 5 years). My boyfriend is french living in the UK (less than 5 years) too.

What are the options for my baby? Will he be able to become a British citizen? or we will have to choose between the Spanish or the French Nationality? If so what is the process to register a baby with any other nationality than the British one?

Thank you!


noramum Tue 17-May-16 12:49:30

You both need to check with your respective embassies. I think, as you are here less than 5 years, your baby won't be automatically British.

IamAporcupine Wed 20-Jul-16 10:12:13

As noramum aid, your baby will not be British automatically but will be able to apply for citizenship but he will once you become 'settled' after 5 years and/or permannet residency
In the meantime you will have to get him French or Spanish nationality


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now