Talk

Advanced search

Advice for speaking Spanish at home?

(4 Posts)
Drowsybutawake Sat 02-May-15 11:51:27

Background is - I am native English speaker, DH is Spanish speaker. Raising our 6mo DS bilingual is very important to us but so far we are struggling to get into good habits!

Drowsybutawake Sat 02-May-15 11:54:53

Sorry posted early blush

We both speak enough of each other's language to raise a child, we live in the UK. I don't think OPOL is going to work for us because a) it doesn't give enough exposure of Spanish, b) DH is a rotten code switcher and often doesn't realise he is speaking English! We need ways to encourage ourselves to speak more Spanish around the baby. Have some books and toys in Spanish, and looking into a Spanish playgroup. Any other ideas?

CatwalkBaby Wed 17-Jun-15 11:12:27

Hello, I am Spanish and my dh Portuguese. We want our 17 month daughter to learn both languages so whenever we are with her, we each stick to our language, even in between us I would talk in Spanish and he will reply in Portuguese. We aim to keep like this until she learns to separate both.
Also, buy books and CDs in both languages, as well as any toy with music or voice.
Hope it helps!

www.catwalkbaby.com

AgentFF Wed 23-Dec-15 08:13:55

Hello Did you work out what you were going to do? The other thing I guess would be to find other families that speak Spanish and have playdates and exposure to others speaking Spanish. Whereabouts do you live - as in is it likely you can meet other families or find a playgroup?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now