Portuguese mums and babies/ playgroups in Surrey

(9 Posts)
Lena75 Fri 06-Feb-15 21:48:54

Hello I am a portuguese mum of a young baby and I am interest in contacting other mums which first language is also portuguese. I live in Hersham, Walton on Thames and I am looking for playgroups where portuguese is spoken. If anyone would be interest please contact me on this site. I will love to be able to start a new playgroup in English / Portuguese. Obrigada xx ��

KWP321 Mon 20-Apr-15 10:29:45

Hi Lena, this information below may be of interest.
If you come to a workshop, you will have access to the contact details of other Portuguese mums in the area, as many have attended our workshops. Hope it's of interest,
Kerry Phipps

Bilingual Workshops for Parents
The International School of London, Surrey, is holding a series of workshops aimed at parents of bilingual children. They are free of charge to our parents and members of the local community.

Susan Stewart, Head of Languages at ISL Surrey, will give tips on successful bilingual parenting, maintaining the mother tongue and developing a child's English. It is also a good way to connect with other people in the community who are raising bilingual children.
Please note that the workshops takes place on Thursday evening and Friday morning, to allow for working parents to attend. People only need to sign up for one of them, as they are repeats.
Thursday 21 May 7-8.30pm
Friday 22 May 9-11am

Places are limited and booking is essential. Please book on 01483-750409 or email sstewart@islsurrey.org
International School of London, Surrey
182 Old Woking Road, Woking GU22 8HY

Armanda Thu 14-Jan-16 15:03:11

Hi Lena
O meu nome é Armanda, vivo em Carshalton e recentemente foi mãe. Eu também gostaria de participar em paygroups onde se fale Português. Tens conhecimento de algum na zonal de Surrey? Obrigado X

Brazilkids Mon 14-Mar-16 20:45:16

Hello,I work in a nursery and I teach Portuguese for kids ages 2 and 4 at their home and I m planning to set up a play group in kensigton and chelsea area.

Zinha Wed 02-Nov-16 13:08:13

Hello,
I am a Brazilian mum of a 3 year old girl. We have just moved to Ewell West.
Is there any update on this thread?.
I'd love to get involved on some group to develop my daughter's portuguese language.... Right now her English totally took off and am struggling to keep up with portuguese... sad
Many thanks.

Jabuticaba Thu 03-Nov-16 11:31:39

Zinha we used to go to South Lambeth Library for a Portuguese speaking mother's group. I'm not Brazilian but DH is and I wanted to get books for him to read to the children. They had some Portuguese or bilingual children's books and I stumbled on the mother's group, lots of Brazilians then but that was 4 years ago. You might want to call the library and see if the group is still going. Most people were local to Stockwell but if it's only once a week then it's not a huge stretch to go there from Ewell West.

Another thing you might be interested in is contacting the Portuguese consulate. At 6 all Portuguese children start Saturday classes. The classes are held in different venues around the UK and it means they study grammar and Portuguese in depth. We are in Brazil now but before we left we were going to enroll the children. Brazilian nationals can do the classes, but they're not free for Brazilians and you do have to pester to get the info. My friend's children both did/do the classes, as did a lot of my son's classmates. Not for a few years yet but it's good to find out where they are and how to get enrolled for the future. It means your daughter might get a Portuguese accent though wink grin.

Zinha Mon 14-Nov-16 12:53:40

Jabuticaba, thank you very much indeed.

All very interesting, I will surely check all of your tips...

And we don't mind the Portuguese accent at all smile
My mom's side of the family, all Portuguese. That is where we come from... smile
Take care

Jabuticaba Wed 16-Nov-16 07:51:53

You're welcome. It was jest, the Portuguese accent is cool, half of DH's family are from Porto so he loves the Portuguese. It is odd though when your children speak your language with a different accent. One of my children started copying the English on the TV and developed a US twang. smile

venus78 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:25:14

Hello Lena75, old post, but worth a try.
Ainda estás em Walton? Também tenho filhotes pequenos e gostaria de juntar me a playgroups em que se fala português.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now