Talk

Advanced search

Norwegian speaking Mums?

(5 Posts)
Mamabear12 Fri 25-Nov-16 11:29:36

I would say, you have an advantage being the mum and wanting your child to learn. I struggled to get my norwegian husband to speak to our kids in norwegian. I even hired a norwegian nanny part time to help! When I realised my husband would not help speak to the kids in Norwegian (I only speak English), I decided to drop norwegian all together and switch to French, because at least it is more useful and easier for resources. However, since you speak norwegian you will be able to keep it up. The main thing is to ONLY speak norwegian to your child. She will learn English from her dad and community. So you need to speak Norwegian only, and add dvds, cartoons, music in norwegian. All can be found on youtube. I wish I spoke another language fluently. Would make my life much easier on teaching the kids! But luckily in our area, there are tons of kids that speak french, classes etc. I have created my own french flash cards using magazine cut outs etc. I have a nanny during the weekend to speak to my kids in French and after school french club monday thurs and fri for my kids. Its only be 3 months, but they are speaking a lot of French and with perfect accent. I have been told by many native french speakers. I have done a lot of research and they say a child needs about 20 hours to be fluent in a language. Good luck!

Josiesmum0 Sat 19-Nov-16 00:04:56

Norsk mamma til Josephine 22 mnd flytter til London i Januar (mannen er engelsk), deretter er planen å bosette oss i hertfordshire/cambridge område.
Veldig klar for playdate så hun beholder norsken smile

Lillesmamma Fri 16-Oct-15 21:01:10

Hei Mette! Jeg saa ikke meldingen foer naa..sorry! Hvordan gaar det med Magnus og norsken? Min datter er naa 4 og snakker norsk, men engelsken er mye sterkere, spesielt siden hun begynte paa skolen.

Mette82 Mon 17-Mar-14 21:10:31

Hei! Norsk mamma til Magnus 19 mnd. Bor i Londonsmile

Lillesmamma Sun 10-Feb-13 22:06:59

I am a bilingual Mum (Norwegian/English) trying to bring my DD aged 22 months to speak Norwegian (DH speaks to her in English) and wonder if there is anyone else trying to do the same who could offer advice. I live in the Cambridge area and have not met any other Norwegian speaking Mums yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now