Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendations with practical tips for raising a bilingual child

(5 Posts)
Engelsmeisje Sat 20-Aug-11 21:13:22

Does anyone have any recommendations? Everything I've found on Amazon seems to devote a lot of space to the pros and cons of bilingualism, but since we've already made the decision that we do want to raise our child as bilingual, I'm looking for more practical tips for parents. Anyone read anything good?

exoticfruits Sun 21-Aug-11 08:04:53

I don't know any books but all the DCs that I know who are bilingual just had a parent talking to them in the other language for most of the time. They didn't appear muddled and could just swap-e.g. asked a question in French and answered in English. I would stop worrying about it and just do it.

BeehiveBaby Sun 21-Aug-11 08:14:18

I love the BabelKid blog smile

Engelsmeisje Sun 21-Aug-11 08:42:00

Thanks for the tips!

Will check out the blog BeehiveBaby

MIFLAW Wed 31-Aug-11 13:31:53

There's the one by the Swedish couple ... Growing Up with Two Languages: A Practical Guide by Una Cunningham-Andersson and Staffan Andersson. I bought it myself back in the day. I'm not sure I entirely agree with Exoticfruits but it IS true that most of these books are mainly useful in the very early days as a sort of virtual "hand-holding" device - the only question they really answer are the two that plague us all, "am I doing it right?" (answer: yes you are) and, "is this normal?" (answer: almost definitely.) They can be a massive help with that, providing a lot of reassurance; but I haven't opened my copy for the last three years, most of my eldest's life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now