Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for setting up a minority language playgroup?

(5 Posts)
Cies Wed 05-Jan-11 21:23:07

I live in Spain and am thinking about setting up an English language playgroup so that ds (13mo) can play and make friends with other English speakers.

I wonder if anyone has any tips... Have you done this before? What has worked well? What hasn't?

Othersideofthechannel Wed 05-Jan-11 21:31:14

I don't have much experience of this thing, but just wonder are you planning to make it open to non-English speaking children?

I think it should be clear when you advertise whether or not Spanish only speaking families are welcome to bring their children along to play in English.

Cies Wed 05-Jan-11 21:49:27

I would rather it was just children who are being brought up with English at home. But you're right, we should make it clear from the outset.

There are already 6 families interested, who are "half" American/ British / Irish.

I'm going to put up posters near language schools and the university language department to attract teachers with young children.

Othersideofthechannel Thu 06-Jan-11 16:40:30

In that case, any general threads about playgroups should be useful to you.

If everyone present is going to be English speaking (whether mother tongue or second language) it's just an ordinary playgroup iyswim.

petisa Thu 13-Jan-11 23:42:15

I used to run an English speaking parent and toddler group in Spain. I would recommend using evite to coordinate meet-ups.

This is a useful website for meeting English speaking parents in Spain. Also, is there an American Women's Club near you? I met loads of English speaking parents through it.

No real other advice, we just used to meet up and have a chat in the park while the kids played. Another mum ran a rhyme time at her house which was great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: