Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for Mumsnetters to canvas opinion on anything they're wavering over - whether that's a wedding outfit, a paint colour for the hall, or a 'bold' haircut. Spammers - don't even.

New Talk Topic - Is this nice?

(121 Posts)
sandymumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 22-Mar-18 16:55:04

Hello all

We’ve noticed that ‘Is this nice?’ has been a pretty regular question on the boards in recent years - that is, MNers asking their fellow MNers for an unswervingly honest opinion on everything from jeans to ‘brave’ haircuts, from F&B paint colours to kitchen worktops, from tattoos to WTAF crisp flavours.

The advice, recommendations, and <ahem> occasional ‘are you utterly bonkers?’ responses are generally brilliant, so we thought we’d give “Is this nice?” a proper home.

All you need to do is post a pic or link to whatever you would like advice on, cross your fingers, and wait for feedback.

As ever, we’re giving this a bash to see how it goes, so do let us know what you think!

Fekko Thu 22-Mar-18 17:10:40

Oh I thought it was referring to the tone of the thread (ie no red button topics). Kittens and scatter cushions and the like.

Mustang27 Thu 22-Mar-18 17:13:05

Good idea.

SilverySurfer Thu 22-Mar-18 17:18:37

Good idea but I bet people will still post on AIBU or Chat because they want lots of responses.

SandysMam Thu 22-Mar-18 17:23:49

Shouldn’t it be naice???

WillowWept Thu 22-Mar-18 17:26:53

Surely S&B related Qs will still get asked in S&B because posters know each other and get an idea of similar tastes?

I couldn't care less if some random hates my purple bell sleeved appliqué fleece dress I want to know that I have the S&B-ers cheering me on 😂

ReversingSnail Thu 22-Mar-18 17:37:23

It's a good idea IMO. I creep into S&B sometimes, and obviously there are lots of helpful people on there, but it's often so very up-to-date and (unsurprisingly given its name) stylish that it isn't for for me. It would be good to ask for general opinions from people who aren't necessarily very much into fashion. I just want to know if something looks "nice" enough, and not shockingly hideous, and then it's good enough for me grin

ReversingSnail Thu 22-Mar-18 17:39:02

WTAF crisp flavours 😂

CoteDAzur Thu 22-Mar-18 17:45:03

Behold the new AIBU grin

Decasanova Thu 22-Mar-18 17:48:51

One persons nice is another persons nasty! It will end in tears.

Especially if anyone uses the word 'naice' as that makes me shudder.

RunMummyRun68 Thu 22-Mar-18 17:51:21

Ah the cynic in me is seeing it as a way of advertising

Dunno HQ, is this something posters have asked for? As I know topic requests are often taken on board and acted on

LastOneDancing Thu 22-Mar-18 17:52:17

'utterly bonkers' grin

Oh MN you're so middle class. I love you.

Girlwhowearsglasses Thu 22-Mar-18 18:05:20

Erm hold on MNHQ

Shouldn’t it be Is this NAICE ???

TheCatofAthenry Thu 22-Mar-18 18:22:54

I remember naice ham, but naice just makes me think of Borat. blush

UterusUterusGhali Thu 22-Mar-18 18:28:09

This is gonna get sooooo bitchy.

Are these Pre-lit twigs nice?
Is this feature wall nice?
Are Tories nice?

It'll end in tears, you mark my words. <<wraps cardigan around bosom>>

UterusUterusGhali Thu 22-Mar-18 18:29:17

I can't wait...grin

MickHucknallspinkpancakes Thu 22-Mar-18 18:45:30

Yes please change it to NAICE!

It's our jacket badge, like the Hells Angels patch!

Wolfcub Thu 22-Mar-18 18:45:57

Surely it should be naice MNHQ it’s a mn thing

GorgeousJaws Thu 22-Mar-18 18:46:54

Let me at 'em 😬

ErrolTheDragon Thu 22-Mar-18 18:50:44

I won a Naice Coffee mug. Which is used as a pen holder, not for naice coffee.

IAmWonkoTheSane Thu 22-Mar-18 18:52:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sweetmonkeys Thu 22-Mar-18 18:59:18

The one thing this site DOES NOT need is yet another topic. Come on, HQ. Sort out the current ones that are stagnating then create new ones.

(And it absolutely should be 'naice' grin)

ScreamingValenta Thu 22-Mar-18 19:02:02

"Is this nice?" isn't very catchy as a topic name. Something like "Nice or Nasty?" would sound more interesting. Or "Is this horrible?" grin.

"Is this nice?" just sounds rather bland.

MyRunMyPace Thu 22-Mar-18 19:16:19

I think it's a bit random - I can't imagine someone thinking Oh, I'm a bit interested in things that people wonder about being nice or not, so I'll check it out.

Can we have a running one please?

AnnieAnoniMouse Thu 22-Mar-18 19:24:16

I agree with PP, the last thing this place needs is another random topic, especially one that dilutes other topics.

For example, half of property & half of S&B are variations of ‘is this nice?’ Take those threads out of their topics and you’ll have more unused topics.

Shakes head...really not sure why you thought this was a good idea, unless it’s linked to advertising.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: