Talk

Advanced search

Child Trust Fund - ethical?

(9 Posts)
snoozealot Sun 01-Nov-09 22:41:51

We didn't get our voucher until DD was 7 months, and despite best intentions I've been absolutely pants at finding the time to research this properly.

I was only able to identify a couple of ethical accounts, but beyond the company names, alot of the info about brokers, fees etc., baffled me somewhat.

The whole concept of market investments is pretty alien to me but I just don't like the idea of investing money for dd and profiting on the back of something like the arms trade. As I say, I don't know much about it, but I assume with so much war going on (and to the forseeable future) this is how alot of money gets made.

Her birthday is in December so I don't have much time left to choose a provider, but I'm also loathe to take the easy option and just bung it to CHildrens Mutual - I don't know how they make their money.

Family, DP and I will probably top up annually, but we don't have enough spare to get to the max amount each year.
Can anyone help point me in the right direction? TIA

Starbear Mon 02-Nov-09 17:45:02

Have you asked the co-op?

Habbibu Mon 02-Nov-09 17:59:31

Agree - co-op/smile a good option.

snoozealot Wed 04-Nov-09 20:18:26

thanks for that. yes co-op do a stakeholder with Childrens mutual. I knew co-op were ethical but they weren't in the list that came with my info pack so I'd dismissed even looking at them. Still haven't got the patience/intellect to work out the small print re fees etc., but seeing as fees are capped at 1.5% that seems pretty good as all the other stakeholders capped at that amount too. Thinking of just investing the voucher and leaving it at that for now, having read the money saving expert advice

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 04-Nov-09 20:22:18

Another vote for Children's Mutual. Can't remember the name of the fund, but it's an ethical one.

thisisyesterday Wed 04-Nov-09 20:27:28

we have ethical ones with family investments

chose because um, my brother works there.

LeninGuido Wed 04-Nov-09 20:30:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeninGuido Thu 05-Nov-09 16:37:17

LeninGuido Thu 05-Nov-09 16:39:01

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now