Talk

Advanced search

Mortgage!!! Age - Mortgage Amount and Mortgage Term

(11 Posts)
dondon007 Wed 07-Feb-18 14:54:44

I am 37 years old mother of one and i have 13 years left on my mortgage. I have been given the opportunity of the most amazing house which on a monthly cash flow level i can afford but it would mean taking out another long mortgage.

Just wondering - how old are you, how much is your mortgage (total cost e.g. you bought for £120k) and how long have you got left to run on your mortgage.

Thanks

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 10-Feb-18 20:28:33

45. No mortgage. 950k house

Fairylea Sat 10-Feb-18 20:32:41

37, dh is 31, mortgage is 100k and 29 years left to run. For us it’s worth it as it isn’t a huge mortgage so we could afford it if income dropped. I think every situation is different. My mum has a tiny mortgage with 5 years left and she is 70 in April!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 10-Feb-18 20:38:59

Your question is pointless. It has so many variables, it matters not a jot what others do

DuchessMinnie Sun 11-Feb-18 17:09:24

I started again with a 25 year mortgage at age 44. 3 years in we have reduced the term to 16 years by increasing our payment. We still owe £450k from an original £500k loan.

LadyLapsang Thu 15-Feb-18 07:30:17

Something to consider is the benefit system is just about to change, no longer will income support be a safety net for mortgage interest; they will signpost you to an additional loan, so be sure you will be able to pay the mortgage over the full term or have robust contingency arrangements.

JoJoSM2 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:34:36

In your position I’d think about whether the current house is good enough, what your pension provision is, at what age you hope to retire etc.

DH and I are the same age as you and when our current fixed term runs out in 4 years, we’ll pay off the balance. Personally, we have no desire to change as the house and the location are great.

However, if you’re current house doesn’t suit your needs or the location isn’t right, then I would consider taking out a longer mortgage to move somewhere more suitable. Probably aim to pay it off before 60 in case you don’t fancy working forever.

lilyclover Mon 19-Feb-18 21:11:23

There was another thread with a similar theme on Chat: At what age did you buy your forever home (http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3170255-At-what-age-did-you-buy-your-forever-home)

The responses make for interesting reading, but at the end of the day everyone is in a completely unique situation.

I'm 45, mortgage is fully paid, 635k.

Mycarsmellsoflavender Mon 19-Feb-18 21:34:02

I think most lenders are happy for you to go to 65. We borrowed back on our mortgage a few years ago to fund an extension and ours runs to DH's 65th birthday month. We'll massively over paid it and will pay the rest off well before then though.

MoreHairyThanScary Mon 19-Feb-18 21:51:09

Dh's is 10 years older than me and has had to state that he will work until 70 to cover out mortgage ( our situation will probably be different by then I will prob be full time...

PoppyR Wed 07-Mar-18 21:33:16

What would this house be giving you that you don't have now?

I don't think looking at what other people do will help a great deal. We looked a moving up the property ladder a decade ago (to a lovely house - quite a step up) but decided against it and extended instead. We could've afforded the mortgage repayments but the cost of maintaining the house to a good standard at the same time was a bit scary and I suspect we would've ended up with a big cold house that constantly needed something doing and never looked properly homely.

Now 44 so glad that we decided to stay put. Paid off mortgage when I was 41 (we had enough savings to do that before but it didn't make sense). Max mortgage we ever had was £120K (house was bought over 20 years ago for £95K but we took out extra for the extension - paid it down, did another one...we've spend at least £150K on the house (beyond simple decorating/maintenance) over the years).

If we piled together the rest of our savings/investments (excluding our pensions) and maxed out a mortgage we could have a house worth 3x as much. As much as I would like x, y and z - it just isn't worth the hassle and expense of moving for (and we are maxed out in terms of possible extensions - house is well and truly finished). Our home isn't our dream home - it's nice though, and enough.

Have a friend the same age with a similar income to us who took mega mortgage for another 30 years about 5 years ago. Their house value has risen massively in that time (London - we're not in London). I have no doubt that they will end up considerably wealthier than us in the long run!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: