Talk

Advanced search

any advice on high risk investments -

(13 Posts)
londonjay Sat 03-Feb-18 00:42:11

I wanted some advice - i am in my late 30's running my own business. I tend to make a lot of money during the summer.
I worry alot because i am only ever 3-6 months away from being out of work.
I wanted to perhaps invest some money in high risk investments to try and maximise returns (full well knowing the risks)
I was just looking for some advice on how much returns I could expect vs medium to low risk investments.
I have about 40k-50k to invest as this is approximately what I make each month in the summer months, so if I lost it all - i could live with it (though would never think about it again )
I have only recently tweaked my business model so i wish i had made this sort money previously .
i have no assets/nothing really to my name -
I live in London so buying a house is not out of the question but 50-100k down on a £300-400k property leaves me feeling really anxious with such a big mortgage.

I would love to hear about some ideas of how i can make my money 'work'

Thank you

Jay

caroldecker Sat 03-Feb-18 00:53:09

What sort of high risk - the 2.30 at Kempton is high risk, high return. You need to be more specific of what you want. Do you mean 7% or so, or double your money overnight risk?

londonjay Sat 03-Feb-18 01:17:06

apologies

I would like something that would give me great returns - double your money type- crypto currencies i looked into and thankfully just before I was going to plough £40k into bitcoin - it crashed- i think i jinxed it

not backing a horse.

Sunseed Sat 03-Feb-18 10:59:52

My advice? Do your homework and watch out for scams. Seriously - if it seems to good to be true it very probably is. There are many "investment opportunities" that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. If you decide to go into an unregulated investment then only put in what you can truly afford to lose.

WickedGoodDoge Sat 03-Feb-18 21:08:44

There’s no easy way to do high risk. I do have money in cryptos, but I bought Bitcoin 5 years ago so what’s happening just now doesn’t bother me in the slightest <and secretly it’s both the crashes as well as the rises that I enjoy>

I have rather more that I play with on the AIM market, but loads of companies there are little more than “legitimate” scams and there’s shitloads of manipulation. I spend ages following and researching specific companies before putting anything into them and then read everything available while holding them, just in case I think I need to get out quickly.

You could do something like put 3/4s of the money into a couple of well performing funds and then actively play with the rest, if you have the time to research.

Winebottle Sun 04-Feb-18 21:32:37

Look at venture capital. Some nice tax breaks.

Dragongirl10 Sun 04-Feb-18 21:35:18

My advice?

Buy a 2 bed outer London flat, share to offset the mortgage, research carefully for up and coming areas and you should be able to make some serious gains.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 06-Feb-18 11:49:27

You mean like purchase a parking space, make 12% a year? .... when you want your capital back though you're fucked as you can't sell it?

Without wishing to be rude, it doesn't sound to me as if you have enough money to take this level of risk. Take warning from bitcoin, you'd have lost an awful lot of money.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 06-Feb-18 11:50:20

Most VCT's fail to make a return. Choose carefully!

user1471426142 Tue 06-Feb-18 16:45:45

Don’t do it. If you don’t yet have property or an emergency fund, you’re not in a position to gamble. Why not pick some more moderately risk rated funds as a way to gain stock market exposure? Would you really be ok losing a significant proportion of your money? I’m just starting out in investments and spoke to friends who are fund managers. Their advice was don’t touch crypto currency with a barge pole as a beginning investor. You need to properly assess your risk profile and outline your medium to long-term goals. Otherwise you might as well throw it away. If you’re anxious at the prospect of a large (but not outrageous) mortgage, are you really comfortable going straight for high risk stocks and shares?

londonjay Thu 08-Feb-18 02:58:27

thank you ! ( love these forums !)

Limpopobongo Sun 08-Jul-18 20:42:21

Binary options? grin

Monday55 Mon 09-Jul-18 22:13:04

You could buy a house up north to rent out..Sheffield/Blackpool/Newcastle area have high yields. and you can buy a 2 bed house outright for 40/50k...yep very cheap, hence the high yield. Even more if you rent out per room rather than the whole house.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: