Talk

Advanced search

Pensions help

(6 Posts)
absolutelyflawed Mon 29-Jan-18 21:49:04

I have recently joined a DB local govt scheme, where myself and employer both contribute.
I earn around 12k and will prob be with the company for about 12 years.
Is it worth me transferring in the following, or would they be better left as they are:

1. An old group pension scheme which hasn’t had any new contributions for years.
2. A personal pension, which I contribute £50 into per month.

Thank you.

Winebottle Thu 01-Feb-18 20:46:38

You need to look at the terms of the scheme. What do you get for transferring in?

Onlyaprawn Thu 01-Feb-18 21:08:51

If the new scheme is DB will it accept transfers in?

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 04-Feb-18 20:52:46

Leave them separately. Old GPP and PP's are totally different, for one you can leave the money to partner or kids, the LGPS is very different. Transfers in are 'fair value', but trap the money.

absolutelyflawed Mon 05-Feb-18 20:56:49

Thank you. I got a fund / transfer value from my old GPP - it is 20k. Should I just leave that as it is?
And is it worth contributing still to my PP with hsbc / reassure 50pm, or contribute more to the LGPS ?

I will prob only have 10 years total membership in the LGPS, if that makes any difference.
Any help appreciated!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 05-Feb-18 21:24:22

I'd save in the PP any extra above standard contributions, but I would make sure the charges and funds are reasonable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: