Talk

Advanced search

How should I invest with £200k?

(18 Posts)
KTDAD Wed 01-Nov-17 13:15:29

I have £200k in my bank I wouldn't need to use for around 2-3 years. How should I invest it safely? I don't want to do buy to let.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

MissConductUS Wed 01-Nov-17 14:33:51

It depends on the amount of risk you can take. If you can't risk loss of any of the principal, invest in government bonds that will mature in 2-3 years or a short term bond mutual fund.

KTDAD Wed 01-Nov-17 14:51:56

I can't take risk. I need the money to update my house in a couple of years time. Thanks for your reply, will look into it.

specialsubject Sun 05-Nov-17 13:07:03

All the no risk options pay about 1%. Inflation is triple that or more. Your money will lose value.

DaisyRaine90 Sun 05-Nov-17 14:04:07

Bury it

X marks the spot x

ImogenTubbs Sun 05-Nov-17 21:30:39

I know nothing about investments but may be in a similar position shortly.

A quick Google has shown up:
http://www.dailyinvestor.co.uk/wind-investment/http://safe-secure-investments.co.uk/uk-investments/crossrail-delta-partnership.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw7frPBRBVEiwAuDfu_LXNbOyY1BuSQsuczALkGQu-w5X8MvzRmD24ynSUePXD_Yq6GvbNxmxoCGqIQAvD

And:
BwE

Get some advice, I'd say!

NameChanger22 Sun 05-Nov-17 21:34:04

I would buy art, but that's only because I know a little bit about it.

Sunseed Mon 06-Nov-17 13:43:32

Imogen I'm not sure that you could find less "safe and secure" investments..... the ones you've linked to are very high risk!!!

RavingRoo Mon 06-Nov-17 13:44:55

You shouldn’t invest for 2-3 years. The best option here is to put a bit into the highest rate cash savings accounts you can find.

ImogenTubbs Mon 06-Nov-17 18:32:30

Thanks Sunseed - I said I know nothing about investing! grinblush I second my final point - get some professional advice!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 07-Nov-17 15:45:55

2-3 years is a problem. Time and risk go together and in that timeframe you could easily take a hit investing in real assets. If safe return of funds is paramount then there is nothing clever to be done. ... Premium Bonds is the only dice to roll!

JoJoSM2 Thu 09-Nov-17 16:07:44

Agreed. Slightly tricky as you need the money at a specified time that isn’t too far away.

What’s your mortgage rate and situation like? You could always pay it down with the money and then remortgage again in 3 years. The interest saved is likely to be more than the nett interest you’d get in a savings account. But then it also depends when you need to remortgage and how long for.

A slightly higher risk approach that I’ve taken before is putting money into funds. As I needed a particular sum, I’d pay out of the ones that were most up. However, you’re running a little risk of things being down when you need the money. IMO it’s not that massive a risk though if you stick to relatively ‘safe’ investments.

suepowell Fri 17-Nov-17 20:27:36

It depends upon how much return you like and how much effort you like to put it.

If you don't like to make any effort, go for government bonds or fixed deposits.

Else, you can invest in ideas. You can probably buy an internet company in UK that is relatively small but potential to grow. The chances of you getting the money back in less than 5 years is very high. Once you get it back, the money that comes after that would be high too. You'd be a millionare in less than 10 yrs time if you do it right.

Else, build an ecommerce platform and sell products online. Invest in it. If you invest more you might sell more too. Am sure you can get the money back soon.

Else buy bitcoins and keep the money as cryptocurrency. As the value increases and reaches a peak you can sell it. But on the downside, the bitcoin value is fledgling. So, there is a risk involved.

BubblesBuddy Wed 29-Nov-17 13:26:49

Bitcoin???? No!!!! Every advice is to steer clear.

You may find fixed term bonds for 2 or 3 years where you cannot access the money before the end date but that may be ok for you. I would look at Money Saving Expert for the best rates. Often a fixed term bond of 2 years will offer a higher rate if you stay in for an extra term so consider that.

Don’t do buy to let. Way too much hassle and what happens if you cannot realise the asset? Most saving experts say 10 years is a reasonable period so, as you don’t have this, your options are limited. We have many long term investments but none are suitable for short term due to possible volatility.

BubblesBuddy Wed 29-Nov-17 13:30:28

Close Brothers or Shawbrook have 1.96%. They are based here. Below inflation though!

swimster01 Thu 30-Nov-17 21:17:50

If you can't take risk and need the money in 2-3 years, I think you would tend to be advised to keep it in savings accounts, maxing out cash ISA investments and spreading over several accounts as you only have protection to £85k per account I think. Possibly fixed interest over the time period that you can leave the money for.

user1486076969 Thu 30-Nov-17 21:21:20

Why not Buy to Let....? ...much better return on investment?

swimster01 Thu 30-Nov-17 21:27:27

2 - 3 years is not an appropriate timeframe for BTL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now