Advanced search

Buying an apartment

(3 Posts)
wiziliz Fri 25-Aug-17 09:24:57

Hello everyone
British living outside the UK, get to visit the UK only couple of times a year, due to my husband's job. We want to buy an apartment and leave it closed. ( don't want to rent ) what are the practical issues keeping the apartment closed most of the year? Do we need to have the heater on during winter? Do we have to pay council tax? Etc .Anyone in the same boat?
Thank you

HandbagFan Thu 26-Oct-17 17:02:31

Yes you’d need to pay council tax. Heating would depend on whether it was in a block that would give some warmth. Don’t forget ground rent and service charges all year round.

Would you be buying with a mortgage? This might prove difficult if you don’t meet residence requirements.

Contents insurance may also prove difficult if you’re not resident there.

Larsitter Sat 28-Oct-17 21:30:12

If it is a second property then there may be additional 3% stamp duty land tax on top of usual rates (the new higher rate for second properties). It would probably be a good idea to get a bit of tax advice before you go ahead to work out the best way to buy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now