Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Investing in a bull market?

(3 Posts)
Countrygardener21 Sun 09-Jul-17 22:42:56

I have an inheritance to invest- around £130,000 and have an appointment with an IFA arranged. I'd like the capital to at least keep pace with inflation (I know there are no guarantees it won't lose though).

Before then, I'd just like to gather opinions here about the wisdom of investing now when markets are high. It'll be the first time I've been in a position to invest a significant sum.

Thanks.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 10-Jul-17 20:13:54

It really depends on when you want the money back. 'Risk' as an IFA will tell you, is the risk that you need the money when markets are low. If you don't need the money, so what if markets fall. Over time a balanced LOW CHARGING portfolio will beat anything else. Time is key.

I'm putting my own 'new' money in the market (I'm a Chartered IFA), but I invest client money in various different ways. Some I'll be 'all in' and on the global market. Others I'll have cautious money in a 'with profits' fund (with profits should not be mixed up with the failed endowment mortgages). I've even got some held in cash - it was a tax play.

Please ensure they are an IFA and not just a financial adviser. Ensure they do a good fact find and look at your tax.

In the long term investing is the only game in town, but in a strong market, 10+ years might be need. If you're looking at 5 - 10, I'd be scaling back and asking more risk questions. However it's possible that the money should go 3 ways and not just one solution.

Countrygardener21 Tue 11-Jul-17 21:42:28

Thank you - that's very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now