Talk

Advanced search

Help to Buy ISAs?

(4 Posts)
shockshockhorror Tue 07-Mar-17 08:11:57

I want to start saving for a house. Does anyone know I the best help to buy scheme? I've been looking at NatWest, it's 2% which seems good but you an only save £200 a month which will take me about 7 years to get a deposit together!

(That's about all I can save at the moment but once the kids are in school I can work longer hours and I might be able to save more)

Any advice appreciated as I am rubbish at this stuff.

Thank you.

user1487362239 Tue 07-Mar-17 08:52:39

Your best option is the help to buy ISA as you get an extra 25% of any savings up to £12,000 when you purchase a house. There's nothing stopping you from opening a second savings account to top up your savings. I have the Savings Builder from Natwest alongside mine as it offers a 1.5% interest rate on anything up to £5,000, 1.00% on £5,000-£10,000 and 0.2% on anything over that. Interests and way down atm so it's one of the best accounts available. But yeah, just because you have one doesn't mean you can't have the other and if you put £200 a month into the ISA you'll have £12,000 in 5 years and the government will give you an extra £3,000 😊

Tobuyornot99 Tue 07-Mar-17 08:54:47

When I opened mine Halifax were doing 4%, which was head and shoulders above any other provider, have a look on Martin Lewis' site MSE. All Help to Buy ISAs limit you to £200 a month, but you can put upto £1000 to start it off.

starving Thu 09-Mar-17 16:29:00

As from April there is a new Isa called the Lifetime Isa, which can also be used like the help to buy isa but it allows you to save more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now