Advanced search

alternative to ISA/good savings account when no longer UK resident

(4 Posts)
chocbuttons Fri 15-Apr-16 14:27:36

Have got money sitting in a UK bank savings account earning practically nothing. I wanted to put it all into my ISA allowance (was going to mix cash and stocks and shares ISA), but I no longer count as a UK resident, so am not able to do so. Any ideas on what to do with it? Low-medium risk. Still consider UK home and don't want to bring it overseas. Many thanks for any thoughts. I know very little about finance.

specialsubject Fri 15-Apr-16 14:39:28

do you have to be UK resident to open the interest-paying current accounts? Look at the Ts and Cs.

if that doesn't work, look at offshore savings, you've no alternative.

Sunseed Sat 16-Apr-16 17:33:54

Are you trying to keep it easy access or are you able to tie it up longer term? Could look at an offshore investment bond maybe? And offshore doesn't have to mean random Caribbean island...... insurance companies like Aegon and Prudential use Republic of Ireland which somehow feels more tangible.

chocbuttons Sun 17-Apr-16 11:20:47

Thanks for the replies. I think to open a new UK current account you have to be resident. (I think my old one remains just because I haven't given them a change of address). Could mix between some easy access and some longer term. Will check out Aegon and Prudential. Does anyone else have any offshore recommendations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now