Advanced search

Investment for children that matures when they reach 25

(17 Posts)
Chapuys Mon 26-Jan-15 18:20:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VadaSultanfuss Fri 30-Jan-15 01:27:26

I'm also interested in doing this although I would plan to drip feed the money in. We're newbie investors and this would be our first toe-dip in the waters so I'm keen to hear what others have done.

whooshbangprettycolours Sat 31-Jan-15 20:55:48

An off shore investment bond would work. You can allocate it to them to make it tax efficient. I like some of the Pru vehicles for this purpose.
A trust can work too but a discretionary trust not a bare trust. The tax implications mean an investment bond again rather than OEICs

bamboostalks Sat 31-Jan-15 20:58:57

Pensions are very tax efficient as the government add so much more to it. The idea is that when they reach a mortgage wanting age they can borrow against it. You invest stocks and shares.

whooshbangprettycolours Sat 31-Jan-15 21:01:40

I have seen someone borrow against a pension, but it wouldn't provide a deposit

Chapuys Tue 03-Feb-15 22:21:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoonToBeSix Tue 03-Feb-15 22:24:31

Just put it in a childrens ISA and don't tell your dc they exist until they are 25.

bobs123 Tue 03-Feb-15 22:27:48

Once they are 18 they can't have a childrens ISA - it gets converted to an adults ISA

bobs123 Tue 03-Feb-15 22:37:00

How old are they now? If young then perhaps a bond (I like the Prudence bond) or solid shares with dividends reinvested set up in a bare trust? I think that legally they are entitled to anything set up in their name once they reach 18. If this means them having to sign anything then it's a bit difficult hiding the investment from them until they get to 25.

Yes you could set up some sort of trust fund but I'm not sure of the costs involved.

I bought shares in the DC's names with the dividends going into a bank account and just told them it existed and the account would be theirs on their 18th Birthdays.

SoonToBeSix Wed 04-Feb-15 00:00:07

Yes I know it converts to an adult ISA but your dc still won't know it exists unless you tell them.

Medoc Wed 04-Feb-15 00:04:40

And presumably, there's no way of them finding out, as they are not exactly likely to be trying to use their ISA allowances from those years...

caroldecker Wed 04-Feb-15 01:08:14

You can set up a trust for them to only gain access when 25, but IFAIK this is tax inefficient.

caroldecker Wed 04-Feb-15 01:09:07

As people have said put it an ISA for them and do not tell then until the right age.

Chapuys Wed 04-Feb-15 06:47:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bamboostalks Wed 04-Feb-15 11:43:46

Honestly pursue the pension angle. My brother in law has been saving into pensions since his kids were born. It's an amazing tax break. He's a top banker so I think he knows what he's doing.

caroldecker Wed 04-Feb-15 14:00:55

bamboo I would suspect as a top banker he has a number of investments for his children - if it is just £10k, that may not be the best advice

whooshbangprettycolours Tue 10-Feb-15 20:56:01

I have bankers as clients and they do indeed save into their kids pensions, ...their kids ISA's, their own ISA's, their pensions, their partners pensions, a GIA, off shore bonds, onshore bonds, the odd VCT and EIS, SEIS and sometimes even binary options. ...

An IFA that can't come up with a solution beyond an ISA isn't much cop!

The thing about an ISA is that you can't keep it secret as they begin to write to the child/adult at 18 by name. You'd need to open all their post.

Yes you can do it yourself but I would feel a bit remiss urging you on.

In all honesty, if you've not filled up your ISA's do it in your own name

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: