Talk

Advanced search

Tenants on Housing Benefits

(6 Posts)
Chippychop Mon 24-Nov-14 18:47:39

Is this a good or bad idea? 2 people have said avoid like the plague. What do you think?

DontGotoRoehampton Mon 24-Nov-14 19:04:00

Avoid. If a tenant fraudulently claims HB (or even if it is overpaid to them), and pays rent to you - you can be pursued to repay - you are an easy target when the tenant is a difficult/untraceable target.
There is a hosing shortage and many very good tenants looking for rentals - no need to take HB.

Chippychop Mon 24-Nov-14 22:30:00

Thanks I think that's just confirmed it for us

Needmoresleep Tue 25-Nov-14 08:44:56

A friend had problems when a perfectly good tenant on HB found a short term job, went off benefits, then had real delays in getting them restarted. Unfair on the tenant for her to start eviction proceedings so they both had to wait.

There used to be schemes where Registered Social Landlords (Housing Associations) would take on tenancies so the risks of non payment and damage/deposit lay with them, leaving the landlord with a guaranteed income. Perhaps worth looking for.

BirdhouseInYourSoul Tue 25-Nov-14 09:17:54

I would check you insurance and mortgage if you have one.

Many have clauses about not letting to HB tenants. But equally, some insurance companies will cover you if there are issues with HB overpayments. Also, speak with your local authority because they don't always have the policy set up to go after the Landlord in these cases.

Ask your LA about links with them. They can find you tenants in need of housing.

I wouldn't write off every HB claimant. You should meet them, go by refs and checks etc. Most of them are normal people needing housing and it's a shame that such discrimination stands in the private letting business.

The lack of social housing and the low wages means that most of the people on HB are honest hard working people who just need top ups.

Chippychop Wed 26-Nov-14 00:04:27

Certainly in London where the flat is I do understand the rising rest vs wages "problem". It seems a lot of the issues are caused by the process. Thanks for your comments but we've ended up going via an agency

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now