Talk

Advanced search

Child trust fund stakeholder accounts affected by economic crisis?

(4 Posts)
DeflatedAssets Mon 08-Aug-11 10:32:52

I am assuming this is the case, but looking long term should be be okay? but wondering if I should reduce our monthly direct debits what with the current economic situation? or are they able to buy more now at the low prices which will benefit in the long term even though our current portfolio has likely gone down?

What is everyone doing? thoughts?

Thanks

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 09-Aug-11 10:12:28

They will dip at the moment but the best advice is probably to keep buying units at the same level. As you point out, they're cheaper now than they were a few weeks ago. They may go lower before they come back up again but, assuming there are a few years between now and when your DC is 18, the chances are that you'll gain as a whole... that's the advantage of long term investments like CTF

I have several unit trust type investments that I contribute to each month. In the 2008 crash I just kept buying and, three years later they were looking rather healthy... until the latest downturn that is smile Swings and roundabouts but, with any luck, finishing more up than down

DeflatedAssets Tue 09-Aug-11 16:19:08

thanks thought as much, another 13 years before dc1 turns 18 so time for things to change..

Longterm Wed 10-Aug-11 12:11:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now