Talk

Advanced search

Where did you put your Child Trust Fund cheque from the Government?

(8 Posts)
calumsmom Mon 16-May-11 22:46:39

Hi, Has anyone found a good place to invest the massive cheque the Government give out of £50?

nokissymum Mon 16-May-11 22:50:29

£50? I thought it was £250 shock

calumsmom Wed 18-May-11 09:22:23

yeh so did I until a tiny £50 turned up sad

nokissymum Wed 18-May-11 09:44:57

they must have reduced it sad I had my ds in 2004 and definitely got a cheque for £250, I put it with hsbc.

milkyjo Wed 18-May-11 20:30:33

I really need to start a fund for my son - he's 5 months already! I'm looking into it. I don't want shareholder or stakeholder accounts, I'd like a savings account but finding one with a good interest rate and also the ability to invest more than £1200 over 17 years is hard! I was wondering what others have done. We only got £50 as he was born in December. I think it doesn't exist now so we were lucky to even get £50!

Longterm Thu 19-May-11 21:13:14

In Standard Life shares for my daughter, well with a bit extra from me.

Longterm Thu 19-May-11 21:18:14

@milkyjo

With 17 years to go I'd opt for high quality dividend paying shares - forget a savings account, it pays less than inflation and with vast amounts of time on your son's side you can create quite a fortune. Here is what I am going for my daughter childmillionaire.com/mias-portfolio/

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 05-Aug-11 07:23:55

My DS was born before the CTF malarkey so think yourself lucky to get £50 smile I took out a Child Trust Fund with a group called Family Investments and it has done very well in the intervening 11 years... suffered in 2008 with everything else but has recovered since. But there is a 'Junior ISA' on the horizon that you may be able to open instead. Worth checking out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now