Talk

Advanced search

Best bank?

(7 Posts)
Solola Sun 08-May-11 20:20:29

I know this is quite a subjective thing, but am thinking of changing banks (been with mine since I got a student account many years ago). Any recommendations?

I have heard that Smile, the online bank, is very good. Do people agree? I thought there might be an existing thread that covers this topic and, if there is, then please do link me to it because I would like to know what other mums think.

Thank-you

darleneoconnor Sun 08-May-11 21:09:20

There is no one best bank for every type of customer. Go on MSE for advise. The A&L used to be very good, they gave the biggest interest free overdrafts but it isn't as gd now it's santander. RBS has good customer service but charges through the nose and is very pushy with sales.

busywheels Sun 08-May-11 21:11:43

We have been with Smile for several years now. Always been very happy with service.

Lizcat Mon 23-May-11 13:55:58

In the most recent which customer satisfaction survey First Direct got 90% satisfaction, the Co-op group (including Smile) got 86% satisfaction, no other bank scored above 50%.
I have been a Smile customer for 10 years and have been happy with them. Good things they have done for me when we were trapped abroad in the ash cloud they refunded all our cash point charges for that time. When I had to make a very important bank transfer they fell over themselves to help me.
I have also become a Co-op member so that I now get dividend on all my business with Smile and the rest of the group.

LadyLapsang Sun 05-Jun-11 12:10:45

First Direct have been fantastic for us but I think it depends on you & your needs. Have been really good when DH worked abroad, fraud on my credit card, DS needed instant cash transfered into his account when travelling - money in his account within 5 minutes, 20 minute mortgage application. I like excellent customer service & things that make your life easier & they win hands down. I also like the fact that the employ staff in this country (call centres in Leeds & Scotland I think ) so no crass comments like the one from the car insurance company I called where I was told I was driving a powerful car for a woman and didn't my husband want to drive it to work!

sancerrre Tue 21-Jun-11 18:53:42

Very happy with Smile, been with them many years, highly recommended. They're in a completely different league to a certain other high street bank I have an account with.

Macey78 Tue 26-Jul-11 23:28:49

I have been very happy with first direct and if I have ever had to call them very quick and efficient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now