Talk

Advanced search

Clomid doesn’t seem to be working, not sure what to do next

(9 Posts)
EL8888 Sat 09-May-20 10:37:52

We have a diagnosis / non-diagnosis of unexplained infertility. We have been trying for nearly 2 years. Last year l did 2 cycles of Clomid, they appeared to work in the sense that my cycle was 28 days, ovulation appeared to happen but no BFP. I’ve just done another cycle but started bleeding / spotting on day 24. The whole thing gave me lots of side effects, mentally / physically l felt dreadful e.g. mood swings, stomach pain every day, sore breasts etc. I don’t get monitored by the hospital, literally just got 21 day bloods during the 1st cycle. Not sure what to do next as the Clomid doesn’t seem to be doing it’s thing and l feel so shit. The hospital aren’t very helpful or knowledgeable so there’s probably no point in going to see them. This is partly why lm so sick of the trying to conceive thing, we never get anywhere really but l always get left feeling ill

We have 3 embryos in the freezer from some IVF last year done privately (as the NHS doesn’t do IVF in our area), we had 2 transferred at the time but they failed. But we need to pay for all of that and obviously clinics are closed at this time. Fiancé has suggested we quit trying, he’s seen how miserable and fed up with the whole thing l am. The whole things putting lots of strain on our relationship. Personally l sick and resentful of never getting anywhere and feeling ill all the time -l had a world of side effects after the fresh transfer failed last year. But conscious stopping will be tricky and at some point we would have to make some kind of decision about them. I’m 40 so can’t even do the, take a break and maybe come back to it in future

ivfgottostaypositive Sat 09-May-20 10:52:27

I'd transfer the 3 in the freezer....frozen transfers will be what most clinics restart first as there is little impact on the NHS. If you don't transfer them you'll always wonder what if x

EL8888 Sat 09-May-20 11:17:37

@ivfgottostaypositive that’s the problem isn’t it -the “what if” reeling us back in again. Just l don’t know if l can face the disappointment and more feeling ill. 1 transfer l might be able face, probably not 2 but logically not all 3 may survive defrost anyway

I knew Clomid wasn’t that likely to work -NICE guidelines explicitly say it’s not suitable for us. But the doctor did prescribe it so l thought maybe persevere. Not sure if there is any point doing the other 3 cycles

ivfgottostaypositive Sat 09-May-20 19:43:58

@EL8888

Can you do non medicated natural transfers? You simply test out your natural ovulation - let the clinic know when there is a peak and they transfer 5 days later? No medication = no side effects? Obviously the roller coaster of hope and disappointment will still be there but surely you still have that with the clomid cycles? X

EnglishRain Sat 09-May-20 20:35:00

Different situation in that I have PCOS and therefore expect NICE guidance does recommend it for me. I felt like clomid worked less and less the longer I took it. My cycles got shorter and I was convinced I wasn't ovulating. Randomly I found an extra (seventh) cycle in the cupboard which I decided to use just because I had it, this was maybe four months after I had stopped taking it. Lo and behold I got a BFP. I read lots of things about clomid supposedly having a cumulative benefit, but the more I took it back to back the worse I seemed to respond to it.

EL8888 Sat 09-May-20 21:04:35

@EnglishRain the last time l took it was probably July or August, that the 2nd of 2. This 3 cycle was only a few weeks ago so it was a big gap

EL8888 Sat 09-May-20 21:06:59

@ivfgottostaypositive l don’t know if the clinic offer that? They are more boot camp and ++++ meds. Plus the problem with being unexplained, is they don’t really know how to deal with our problem (s)

To be fair l have very low expectations of Clomid as ultimately it’s not for our none diagnosis. It’s more the side effect that lm annoyed about

EL8888 Sat 09-May-20 21:21:30

PS plus as l started bleeding on day 24 them lm wondering if my progesterone levels are now poor?

ivfgottostaypositive Sat 09-May-20 21:31:02

@EL8888

I'm unexplained too and did a round of IVF with genetic testing which showed poor egg quality and chromosomal issues on both blastocysts which got to day 5 so I guess we sort of have our answer but it's just a case of keeping going (within reason) until we get a good one. I have 4 frozen with hopefully another 2 from This final round and then we'll transfer two at a time but then we are done. I can't get pregnant naturally anyway as I lost both tubes to ectopic pregnancies

Maybe you could move your embryos to another clinic which supports are more natural transfer? It seems a shame to go through the stress of egg collection and getting 3 to freeze to end up not using them?

Sometimes I get a shorter cycle - I'm usually 29 days like clockwork but have been known to have a 40 day one and then a 25 day one before so it could just be a "wonky" cycle

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »