This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Starting ivf again(19 Posts)
@twinkledag British cyprus ivf, def recommend 👍
@Woodcottage1 May I ask where you went to in north Cyprus for your treatment?
Well you’ve taught me something, I had no idea. I’m rather pleased I didn’t have the option and given the shorter, I found it rather uncomfortable towards the end of the two weeks. Anyway best of luck with the cycle 👍👍x
Just wanted to say not sure what your proctcol is mine is a medicated FET frozen and our 2nd (3rd) ivf but i also start meds on day 2 of my cycle but as i think we know there are different protocols so if yours is from day 21 they will probably ask you to wait just encase. Good luck
No it’s a frozen transfer this time. I had similar protocol last time when I had an egg collection and fresh transfer but some different meds and more scans to check follicles. I’m on a long protocol which means I start meds on day 21...could it be that you were on a short protocol? I have heard of your way but from what I’ve heard of, I thought my way was the the most common way! Strange (and interesting!) how completely different peoples experiences can be! Glad to hear yours resulted in a pregnancy
Gosh that’s strange. I’ve done two lots of private ivf in northern cyprus, latest one has resulted in my current pregnancy. You start on the protocol on day 1 or 2 of cycle and the whole point of the scan on the day you start protocol is to check follicles and track them, we then have approximately 3 further scans over the 12-14 days of drug protocol with adjustments and blood test a few days prior to egg collection. Are you doing a fresh transfer and consequently the initial drugs before the start of the cycle are something to do with that? It just doesn’t make any sense to me. Anyway best of luck 👍
I think my clinic does it differently because I don’t get scanned on my first or second day. I start meds on day 21 and from day 1 of that cycle they tell me not to have unprotected sex. I then have a bleed and start on 2nd lot of meds and then my first scan is planned for a few days before expected transfer. So when I start taking meds, I wouldn’t know if I was pregnant or not. I think it’s likely they’ll say I can’t start this month but I’m glad I have told them now, as I’m no longer worrying about it
Hi, I think I’m missing something here. From my experience it doesn’t matter if you’ve tried naturally. You start the medication and scan on the first or second day of your cycle, consequently only if your not pregnant. You’ll have started your period. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Ha ha yep and cut out the caffeine too. The ivf diet. Good luck on your journey
I’ve emailed them again and told them....and now I feel much better as I’d only be worrying about it the whole time! I’m pretty sure they would have asked me before beginning anyway. Resigned myself to the fact t that it will be delayed at least a month...but need to remember that I wasn’t expecting it all to resume so soon anyway. Thanks both for your input...it’s helped me come to the right decision
And now to put down all the sugary treats and get healthy again lol
Now I’m thinking we just carry on ‘trying’ this month as it’s so unlikely that they’ll tell us we can go ahead considering we’ve had unprotected sex. I don’t want a double whammy of thinking I’ve wasted this month as well.... I don’t know why I still have hope that it can happen naturally as I’ve never come close to a pregnancy, but I do!
But that’s what I want to know, is there any consequences? Just wish they’d emailed me earlier and then I could have asked them these questions, now I have this hanging over me all bank holiday weekend! If they’d said to me, you can’t start until following cycle, then at least I’d know! I hate the not knowing! And I wouldn’t be able to tell if I was pregnant until after I’d been taking the down regulation, cos you start it on day 21.... it’s so difficult cos I know the chances of me being pregnant are so slim. Ugh.
Ah ok you're doing medicated FET? I've always done non medicated FET so doesn't matter if you are pregnant or not and never been asked about last date for unprotected sex which is probably why
Yeh it’s the consequences of the meds on a potential pregnancy that would bother me.
Thanks both. I’ve replied that I’m happy to start treatment and I’m assuming they’ll ask me whether I’ve had unprotected sex this month in their reply. Waiting to see what they’re response is before I make a decision. Frustrating that they’ve emailed this afternoon as I’m assuming I won’t hear til Monday now!
I think I’m more concerned that if I was to be (by some miracle!) pregnant this cycle then what are the consequences of taking the down regulation medication?
For my first (failed) ivf cycle and my 2nd (which was the cancelled due to corona cycle!) they told me not to have unprotected sex from day 1. It’s day 14 today when they’ve sent me the email saying I can (potentially) start with the injections day 21, so a week from today, but not mentioned not having unprotected sex. When I initially had the call to say my cycle was cancelled, I asked if we could try naturally until we hear again and they said of course! So it’s not like they think we wouldn’t be having sex!
Nah don't worry about it - until I lost both tubes I always tried naturally before FET and also during - no harm in upping your odds and not wanting to waste an egg in case it's a good "un" - only do it though if you are happy to have twins or more!
From someone whose been through a few rounds of ivf, I would tell them. They’ll do bloods anyway and what if they misinterpret the results
Just had the news that all being well and my clinics application is successful, I can start my FET cycle again this month. However, we’ve had unprotected sex (during ovulation time) as we didn’t think we’d be starting again so soon... should I tell my clinic this? I’m concerned that if I tell them they’ll put me back another month and I really don’t want to wait any longer. I think given that I’m having ivf, it’s unlikely I would be pregnant anyway, but don’t know what to do for the best.... anyone got any advice? Thank you