Talk

Advanced search

Clomid for unexplained infertility

(15 Posts)
ktl1a Wed 06-May-20 09:07:53

Hi everyone, hope your all coping despite the current crazy situation!
I am in the process of (hopefully) getting prescribed clomid as a last ditch attempt before we look in to IUI or IVF. My progesterone tests show that i am ovulating, lap/dye/hysteroscopy show tubes are clear, plus DH's SA is fine (3% morphology but all other results good so doctor isn't concerned).
Has anyone else used clomid in a similar situation? Would love to hear any success stories and/or opinions on clomid for this purpose.
I've even considered getting a prescription online if doctor won't prescribe (I know I really shouldn't but just feel hopeless and desperate, want to try everything I possibly can before going down more invasive routes... if clomid makes you ovulate surely it will help with egg quality? I am aware of the risk of hyperovulation)
Thanks in advance everyone!

physicskate Wed 06-May-20 12:04:31

Yes. 6 months of clomid. Didn't work. Caused me to grow a fibroid...

I had slightly irregular cycles (28-39 days) and polycystic ovaries (not pcos).

Our first cycle of ivf (skipped iui) worked though.

JoesM12 Wed 06-May-20 12:26:00

Hi @ktl1a
I am in a very similar situation to you. We have been trying for a while for baby #2. My daughter is 3 and was a totally surprise.
I ovulate regular and my periods are between 29-32 days. I have had two periods that I can remember that were a bit off and a week or so later than that but I don’t think I have any issues.
My husband hasn’t been tested yet but given the current situation gp’s aren’t offering any fertility treatment where I am and we already have a daughter so I figured his swimmers must work 😅
After speaking with a friend who is due in June with her clomid baby after the first month on it and after much deliberation and research we have decided to order Clomid online. It’s obviously not what everyone would do but at this stage I am willing to try it. I am hopeful it will work.
I am of course not advising you do anything you aren’t comfortable with just letting you know what we have decided 🙂
I am hoping it works the first month as I’m not sure how long it will we are willing to try it without further guidance. Probably just the one time and then back to the natural method!
Sending lots of love as I know how tricky these decisions can be!❤️

ktl1a Wed 06-May-20 12:45:12

@physicskate sorry to hear that it caused issues for you but so glad you managed to conceive your miracle after IVF. Do you mind me asking whether you were offered IUI and if so why you went straight to IVF? We are thinking ahead and trying to decide whether to try a couple lf cycles of IUI before going IVF or not.

@JoesM12 it won't let me tag you for some reason so hopefully you receive this! Great to hear your story, sounds quite similar (although we are trying for our first and cycles range from 25-31 days so are slightly irregular but consultant didn't seem concerned about that). It is definitly an option for us to get it online, I'm just not sure where to get it, I only found one website that you can get it from so far, what website are you using? I am definitly willing to get it online if doctor won't prescribe, should know next week for definite so will be ordering then if not. Lovely to hear about your friend's clomid success story, sending lots of luck that you will have the same result!

Would love to hear some more stories if anyone has them!

ktl1a Wed 06-May-20 12:47:09

@JoesM12 managed the tag this time, please see my reply in post above smile

physicskate Wed 06-May-20 13:11:20

We weren't offered it. They did VERY little testing on me (and just one SA for dh). They figured whatever was 'wrong' would be circumvented by ivf anyway.

Clomid was given just to make me feel like something was being done and to 'buy time' so to speak, by the clinic.

It doesn't improve egg quality. Ubiquinol, dhea (in SOME cases), and avoiding certain chemicals like bpa, can have some small impact on egg quality though. Have you read 'it starts with the egg'??

In hindsight, I wouldn't have used it as it simply made me ovulate slightly more regularly, even though my cycles weren't that bad!! It's powerful stuff and should be used to solve a particular problem, not as 'oh we may as well try something' which is what the consultant did for me...

But I remember my sense of desperation well, so I took it. And now I'll have a medium sized fibroid until I go through menopause. It'll give me heavier, more painful periods. Yay.

ktl1a Wed 06-May-20 13:32:50

@physicskate sorry you had such a bad time with it and they weren't through enough with you. My doctors have been great so far and aren't majorly concerned about my cycle length variation but do say it is irregular. The current test results I'm waiting on will tell me whether the doctor wants us to have it or not.
I haven't read "It starts with the egg" yet but following my MMC I have been taking ubiquinol over the past few months in an attempt to approve egg quality.

You are 100% right about the desperation, the feeling of helplessness is horrendous and anything that will give me a small sense of control is worth it in my eyes. I'm not sure when we will be able to go down the assistence route but I would imagine it will be late this year at the earliest due to coronavirus delaying everything, hence the idea that we should try this last option as a last ditch attempt before that. I never thought TTC would be so difficult (I know no-one does) sad

physicskate Wed 06-May-20 16:11:10

A variation in cycle length is a very regular cycle. Variation of more than plus/minus four (more than 8 days variation in length) is classed as irregular in medical literature.

Do what you need to do. Learn as much as you can. Try to stay sane.

ktl1a Wed 06-May-20 17:04:45

Thanks, good to know that it is normal to have that variation. I will continue to read up on it and see if anyone else has info on this thread. Thanks for your input, much appreciated smile

Wackadoodle84 Fri 08-May-20 13:43:18

@ktl1a I was put on clomid for ‘unexplained infertility’ in the past. Conceived my DD twin girls now aged 10 on it after 6 cycles. The 6 cycles weren’t concurrent. From what I can remember I was on it for 3 months, took a break of approx 6 months and was then prescribed another 3months and fell pregnant on the second cycle of that 3 month period. Am pretty sure the twins were a direct result of being on the clomid.

10 years on and we have been ttc for almost a year. My gp has carried out some investigations. Hsg, day 21 bloods for 4 months, semen analysis etc and I now have a box of clomid (prescribed) sitting on my kitchen table ready to go for next month.

Whatever way you decide to go best of luck, let me know if I can answer any questions on side effects etc although it has been over 10 years since I took clomid. I’m sure it’ll all come back to me next month though !

VenusStarr Fri 08-May-20 15:18:04

My fertility consultant wouldn't entertain a conversation about clomid for me as I ovulate OK on my own. He said that it could cause more issues. We were told in January our only option was to go straight to ivf. My trust doesn't offer iui.

ktl1a Fri 08-May-20 15:26:55

@Wackadoodle84 great to hear that it worked for you, even if it was on the second lot of clomid! Hopefully you will be lucky again this time! Fingers crossed for you! I'm not too concerned about temporary side effects, I have heard that it is nest to take before you go to bed to try to avoid these where possible. I am most concerned about the potential effect on endometrium and EWCM but I think it's worth a try. Hoping my consultant will go ahead with the prescription next week in time for my next cycle.

@VenusStarr that's interesting, ll of the consultants have such different opinions don't they! Some are happy to give clomid as a last chance prior to IVF for unexplained and others won't, I think the main worry is that it may cause superovulation if you are already ovulating, I wouldn't mind twins though, just a healthy baby is all i want! I hope you get your appt for IVF soon!

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 08-May-20 17:07:31

Clomid is often prescribed in the very early stages of fertility investigations so I am wondering why now at this quite late stage?. If a series of tests too has shown that you are ovulating regularly, clomid can have the opposite effect. I would be questioning them at length why this has been suggested now and also at this late stage. Clomid's job too is to make the ovaries work harder to produce an egg.

It also appears that you have not been given any real sort of diagnosis. Unexplained is no diagnosis at all; all this means is that they have failed to find out what is wrong. Sometimes it is a diagnosis given to couples also when they as a couple have not been adequately investigated.

I would be wondering more about the sperm morphology, this is probably the reason why IVF has been suggested.

ktl1a Fri 08-May-20 19:05:33

@AttilaTheMeerkat thanks for your reply. I 100% agree about the fact that they just don't know why it's taking so long, unfortunately they have exhausted all investigations as everything has come back fine (except 1 progesterone test but we are re-doing that, if the results aren't high enough we will then start on clomid).

The IVF is the last option really, they have said to carry on trying for another few months but I am aware that it will be the next step. They aren't concerned about the morphology as it is only 1% below the threshold and all other aspects are great.

Thanks for your thoughts smile

Chicasimona Tue 26-May-20 21:20:34

Unexplained infertility us not a diagnosis, it means the medical staff has failed to find the cause.
I've been put on Letrozole for 6 months but didn't get pregnant not surprised. Yes, clomid/letrozole streghten the follicular phase and ovulation but I was already ovulating so I think I have issues with implantation/lpd.
Everyone us different and many ladies do get pregnant with clomid. Good 🤞

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »